Thursday, October 26, 2017

Mmm...pumpkin spice latte lotion!

Check out this quick, cold emulsifier lotion using coffee butter! (I'm not able to type much due to my arm injury, so please do a search for the ingredients that you see underlined in these handwritten notes.)

A massive thank you to Lisa for taking the time to type all of this out for us so I can replace my messy, handwritten post. 

My best friend loves coffee, so I thought this would make a great quick lotion for her. I added a titch of pumpkin spice fragrance oil at the end to make it a yummy fall lotion.

I'm using Aristoflex AVC to make a quick, cold process lotion. I want to add some nice water soluble ingredients to hydrate dry autumn skin. I can't use electrolyte heavy extracts like aloe vera, so I'll have to find other ways to film form, like using sea kelp bioferment.  I'll add propanediol 1,3 as the humectant, as glycerin can fell a bit sticky when combine with Aristoflex AVC. (I don't find it sticky, but some do.)

Propanediol 1,3 is naturally derived substitute for propylene glycol that can be used at up to 20% in your water phase. It's a humectant that draws water from the atmosphere to your skin to offer hydration. It has a 9 to 12 month shelf life once opened. But I find it's a little lighter and drier feeling than propylene glycol. It kinda feels the way those microfibre cloths feel on my skin, a little too dry on its own, but lovely in combination with other things.

I always love panthenol to help hydrate skin, and I think I'll add bamboo extract (liquid) to soften skin and act as an anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory.

Aristoflex AVC doesn't emulsify huge amounts of oil, so I'm using 4.5% coffee butter and 0.5% Pumpkin patch fragrance oil, for a total of 5%.

Always use distilled water for the cold process emulsions as we want to start as clean as possible

PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE LOTION WITH ARISTOFLEX AVC
83.5% distilled water
3.0%  Propanediol 1.3
2.0%  Sea Kelp Bioferment
2.0% Panthenol (Powder/Liquid)
3.0% Bamboo Extract

4.5% Coffee Butter

0.5% Pumpkin Patch FO (Fragrance Oil)

1.0 % Aristoflex AVC
0.5% Liquid Germall Plus

Weigh the water soluble ingredients into a container. Mix the distilled water, propanediol 1,3, sea kelp bioferment, and bamboo extract.

Weigh the Coffee Butter into a small container, then heat until just melted.

Add the Coffee Butter to the water soluble stuff. (Do all of this quite quickly so it won't solidify!)

Add the fragrance oil, Aristoflex AVC, then preservative (Liquid Germall Plus) to the rest of the ingredients.

Mix with an immersion blender or stick blender to get a good high shear mixer. After maybe 3 minutes, you're done.

You can use any FO (fragrance oil) or EO (essential oil) you wish as long as it is skin safe. Vanilla is lovely, as is gingerbread.

You cannot use a hydrolyzed protein in this lotion as it will lose viscosity.

You can use another butter or oil here too. Babassu oil is lovely.

Note: I an not paid off by the Babassu advisory council in any way! There isn't a babassu advisory council… But there should be.

Package this in a nice pump bottle for ease of use.

All the ingredients I used you can find at Windy Point Soap in Calgary, Alberta. All but the bamboo extract and FO (fragrance oil) you can find at Lotioncrafter in Washington State, USA. I am not compensated in any way for mentioning these ingredients, and I receive nothing if you order from them. These are not affiliate links, either. I consider Michele and Jen to be good friends, so I like it when they make money, but I'm providing this information to you so you can get things to make this project. 

If you'd like to see more ideas with coffee butter, join me on Sunday for a pumpkin spice latte lotion with Penstia powder or check out this whipped vanilla latte coffee butter we made last month!

1 comment:

Windham Flowers said...

This looks lovely! Thanks for sharing, Susan! I am so pleased that you are in your workshop.