Monday, May 29, 2017

Update on a bunch of things including my new e-zine and classes at Voyageur Soap & Candle

Hi everyone! I've spent the last few days at my desk reading and writing and preparing and getting things done, most of which you'll see here over the next few weeks. Thank you for your excitement about me making cold process soap! I had great fun making it, and I hope to try a few new small batches over the next few weeks. Michele introduced me to the joys of Soapcalc, but I'd like to try the one we made a few times more before I go off making my own recipes for a product I don't quite understand on an experiential level. (I do get the chemistry of it, and I'll be sharing some great information I've found on the topic as I post here about my experiences.)

The new e-zine is out for those of you who are $10 Patreon members. If you aren't a member, and you're interested, please check out my Patreon site to learn more. This e-zine will be available in early June for $13, so if the idea of an e-zine on extracts interests you, then check out this table of contents and visit the Patreon site to learn more.

The e-zine has brand new recipes, including a few for a clay mask and a liquid blend you could add to it, as well as information on how to make gels to mix with it. I'm quite excited about all of this!!!

I have tons of ideas on what I'd like to write about first, including more recipes from the 2017 HSCG conference in Las Vegas, including a whole series of things on Simulgreen 18-2, a new, ECOcert emulsifier I've been working with for more than 18 months, but I want to get through your comments and questions first.

Thanks for being such awesome readers! I met quite a few of you while at Windy Point Soap last week, and I can't tell you how much it means to me that you read what I write, try the recipes, and love this craft I love so much! You all make doing all of this worth while! I love to hear from you, too, so don't hesitate to write or comment. I know I'm falling behind, but I really do want to hear from you about what you're making!

I have two more classes coming up at Voyageur Soap & Candle...

This weekend on Saturday, June 3rd at 9:30 it's JUST FOR MEN!

Who could forget about all the wonderful men in our lives! The modern man values and understands the importance of taking care of their skin and hair, and Susan will teach you to make a range of products just for men! These will include a conditioning shaving lotion, Beard Oil, Hey Beardo! sprayable beard and skin conditioner, beard and face wash, protectant hand lotion, and lotion bar. And in addition, you will take home a recipe and information package so you can continue to make these fabulous products at home and just in time for Father’s Day!

And then on Saturday, June 17th at 9:30 it's all about gels!

Susan demystifies how to make a range of specialty gel products by walking you through the science of these advanced ingredients and teaching you how you can easily use them at home to create amazing skin care products. Using the specialized gelling agents, Sepimax Zen and Carbopol Ultrez 20, together with premium skin care ingredients, students will make a variety of premium gel products for face and body. And in addition, you will take home a recipe and information package so you can continue to make these fabulous products at home!

If you're interested in learning more about having me come to where you live to teach or if you have ideas for classes I could offer at Windy Point Soap or Voyageur Soap & Candle, don't hesitate to comment here or email me at sjbarclay@telus.net for more details.

Let's get to your comments!

3 comments:

Rose said...

Hello Susan
Love your blog! Hoping you or one of your blog followers can help me with a question. My Optiphen Plus froze in my fridge. Is it still ok to use?

Moxie said...

Your classes sound incredible! I wish I were closer - especially for the men's class. My boyfriend just started growing a beard and it would be cool to be able to make him some nice products.

One thought for a beard related topic - formulations or thoughts about "beardruff." for some guys they end up with dry, flaky and scaley skin only under their beards (and not their hair). I've been going through various beard blogs and some people talk about it as a problem with not drying the beard properly, some address it as an oily skin issue (with tea tree), and some treat it like an exfoliation issue.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas for how to do a nice set of beard and men's products based on looking at the research and chemistry!

Warmly,
Kaye

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Rose! I wouldn't take the chance with it, unfortunately.

Hi Moxie! Look for my leave in beard conditioner that doubles as a facial moisturizer to help with that issue! I call it "Hey Beardo!" I've also written an e-zine on the topic with all kinds of recipes in it. I love making men's products these days!