My daughter loves the bath jelly from Lush and I am going broke. Could you have a go at the recipe?
I can't say no to a fellow Susan (by the way - want to join the Association for Changing the name of that spinning thing you put in the middle of the table from Lazy Susan to something else? Ikea calls it a Snudda. What a fun word! But I digress!)
Her daughter's favourites are Woosh and Sweetie Pie, so let's take a look at those ingredients.
SWEETIE PIE SHOWER JELLY
Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cherry Infusion (Prunus cerasus), Glycerine, Propylene Glycol, Coconut Infusion (Cocos nucifera), Perfume, Carrageenan Extract (Chondrus crispus), Bergamot Oil (Citrus bergamia), Cassis Absolute (Ribes nigrum), Cypress Oil (Cupressus sempervirens), *Limonene, *Linalool, FD&C Blue No. 1, D&C Red No. 33, Methylparaben, Irridescent Glitter (Polyethylene terephthalate and Acrylates copolymer).
If we break it down we have sodium laureth sulfate, glycerin, propylene glycol, carrageenan extract, preservative (methylparaben), colours and glitter, and fragrance. Water enters the picture as the cherry and coconut infusion.
WHOOSH SHOWER JELLY
Honey Water (Mel Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Glycerine, Propylene Glycol, Carrageenan Extract (Chondrus crispus), Perfume, Fresh Lemon Juice (Citrus limonum), Fresh Grapefruit Juice (Citrus grandis), Fresh Lime Juice (Citrus aurantifolia), Grapefruit Oil (Citrus grandis), Rosemary Oil (Rosmarinus officinalis), Geranium Oil (Pelargonium crispum), *Citral, *Geraniol, *Citronellol, *Limonene, *Linalool, FD&C Blue No. 1, Methylparaben.
Again, if we break this down we have water (honey water), sodium laureth sulfate, glycerine, propylene glycol, carageenan extract, perfume, citrus juices, colour, and preservative. Effectively we have water, a surfactant, a few humectants, a thickener/geller, fragrance, colour, and preservative.
This is a product that is definitely surfactant based - it's a cleanser after all - that's thickened enough to stand up on its own and not turn into goo, but remains wobbly. Some of them are clear, some are white.
Susan offers the following advice...
1. Gelatin does work but is susceptible to warmer temps and does not freeze well (although I did not have dipropylene glycol). Otherwise, this was an okay product.
2. Agar Agar (my sub for carrageen) was harder to work with and did not want to gel when dipropylene glycol was added. The agar also reacted and started clumping when I added my liquid surfactants in . Total bust!
If you want to play along, write to me (Swift, aka Susan) and let me know! (Petra's already in, so you know this is going to be fun!)
The rules? You must keep relatively close to the ingredients in the original product. (If you followed the last challenge, you know I was itching to add some emulsifiers and conditioning agents but could not as they were not included in the original recipe.) I think it's fair to change the gelling agent - I have no idea where to get it! - and change the surfactants. You can use the infusions and juices if you want. You must include a preservative in this recipe as it contains water.
If you want your results posted here, please send me the recipe you used in percentages, preferably with a picture. Give me a short write up indicating how you came to try this version, the process of making it, and what you thought of the end result. If you want to indicate what you're going to try for the next version, that's great, too!
The challenge starts....now! The end date - whenever we figure it out! Happy formulating! I can't wait to see what happens next!!!