Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Weekday Wonderings: Liquid Germall Plus, and a thought about contamination

In this post, Preservatives: Phenoxyethanol, Paola asked: Quick question Re: Liquid Germal Plus... It's my favourite preservative to use...however, I'm a little worried about using it because there are articles out there saying it's not the healthiest preservative out there...BUT it preserves my products like no other. Are there any skin care brands who use LGP to preserve their products? Or is it more seen in the DIY realm ?

Yes, I've seen many companies using the combination of propylene glycol, diazolidinyl urea, and iodopropynyl butylcarbamate that we find in Liquid Germall Plus. (Here's an example and here's another one. A quick search will turn up many more.)

I guess my question is why do people think it's not "healthy". What does "healthy" mean? I'm not trying to be insulting or sarcastic by putting quotation marks around the word. I really don't know what that could mean. I'm guessing there's something in there people don't like, but that doesn't mean the ingredient is unhealthy.

Liquid Germall Plus has a long history of keeping our products safe from contamination, which keeps me and the people who use my products happy and well. I see some preservatives being advertised as "natural" that aren't holding up so well over the long term or in tests. But everyone has to make that decision for themselves. I like liquid Germall Plus and happily recommend it to anyone who wants to make products.

As an aside, I saw a blog writer stating that products will go bad eventually no matter what we do. This isn't true. If you start clean, use ingredients from reputable suppliers, follow good manufacturing processes, use clean containers for our products, and use a good, broad spectrum preservative suitable for the product at the suggested usage rate, there's no reason a product should go bad. I have lotions which stink up the room with their gross rancidity because they're so old that have no evidence of contamination. Please start clean and you'll end up clean!

As it's taking me quite a long time to get to comments, remember that you can find out so much information by doing a search on the blog or by visiting one of the sections of the blog, like the preservatives section. There are comparison charts that will help get you on your way much quicker than waiting for me to respond. 

5 comments:

Barbara Parkes said...

Help please. I am tearing my hair out! Liquid Germall Plus, I've read so much but still confused about usage. Not being a great mathematician is not helping. When you talk about amounts in grams this is equivalent to mls - right? I do not have anything that can weigh viscous amounts like 0.5 g but I do have syringes. Can I use these? Is 0.1 g the same as 0.1ml? Does it matter if there's a bit too much in the final product? I want to make up hand wash, body wash into either 250ml or 500ml bottles. I'm sort of sorry I bought all the products because it is turning out to be way more complicated than I first thought. Apologies for the long winded question. Barb. ❤

Barbara Parkes said...

Help please. I am tearing my hair out! Liquid Germall Plus, I've read so much but still confused about usage. Not being a great mathematician is not helping. When you talk about amounts in grams this is equivalent to mls - right? I do not have anything that can weigh viscous amounts like 0.5 g but I do have syringes. Can I use these? Is 0.1 g the same as 0.1ml? Does it matter if there's a bit too much in the final product? I want to make up hand wash, body wash into either 250ml or 500ml bottles. I'm sort of sorry I bought all the products because it is turning out to be way more complicated than I first thought. Apologies for the long winded question. Barb. ❤

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Barbara! No, mls aren't the same as grams. Millilitres are for volume; grams are by weigh. 1 ml Germall Plus isn't 1 gram of it. You'd have to check the specific density of the ingredient to see how much 1 ml was in grams.

Instead, why don't use a small scale and measure it by grams? If you're making 500 grams of body wash and want 0.5% liquid Germall Plus, you'd use 2.5 grams in the final product.

Please start measuring by grams. It's more accurate, and you'll have more fun!

Janet McNaughton said...

My concern with Germall Plus is that it releases formaldehyde, which is a known carcinogen. The amounts are said to be quite small and over time. I don't know if formaldehyde will break down in a product, or if "over time" means the amount of formaldehyde will increase as the product ages.
This is probably not an issue for most people and I understand that decaying products are unhealthy and bad and preservatives are necessary in water-based products. With my skin problems, carcinogens are a deal breaker so I'm only working with oil based ingredients but that is limiting. I like the idea of hydrosols.
Is Naticide a good alternative? It is expensive and it seems shrouded in mystery. I can't find out anything about it. The makers seem more interested in protecting the intellectual property than informing those who might use it.

Yolanda Setiawan said...

Hi Susan, I wanted to make a face & body oil make from hazelnut oil, candula oil, rosehip oil, and Essential oil. Do I have to preserve if I use all oil? If I wanted to sell organic skin care on etsy, how do I know if it well preserved ( especially if it contains lots of water), does germaben good for all hair and skin product? and knowing the shelf time. Do all people checked their product on lab first? I'm really new to this stuff. Thank you for your help! :)