Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Weekday Wonderings: Is anyone using Spectrastat G2?

In this post, A bunch of comments I missed in March, Kathrine asks: I was curious if you had any insight on the efficacy of using Caprylhydroxamic Acid (and) Glyceryl Caprylate (and) Glycerin as a preservative. I haven't been able to find a lot of information on it, other than the suppliers who swear by it of course. They claim that it is "a complete broad-spectrum preservative-free preservation system in a wide variety of bath, body and skin care products, such as creams, lotions, shower gels and color cosmetics, especially those products desiring a “paraben free” or “preservative free” claim. It may be used in emulsion, anhydrous and surfactant systems, even with a neutral pH." 

Caprylhydroxamic acid (and) Glyceryl Caprylate (and) Glycerin is a complete broad-spectrum preservative-free preservation system that answers the call for paraben free formulating needs. Featuring Caprylhydroxamic acid (CHA), an amino acid derived from coconut oil, which some consider to be an ideal organic acid because it proves effective even at a neutral pH. This preservation system contains no biocides or traditional preservatives, such as parabens.

It uses instead ingredients that are multi-functional, possessing excellent efficacy as fungistatic and biostatic agents, making it appealing to formulators who desire to create personal care products that can carry a paraben-free or preservative-free claim. The combination of the effective preservation ability of glyceryl caprylate, and the anti-fungal activity of CHA provides excellent results and can completely preserve both emulsions and surfactant systems. Caprylhydroxamic acid (and) Glyceryl Caprylate (and) Glycerin is non-toxic, globally acceptable, and compatible with most cosmetic ingredients."

Usage rate is 1-1.2% 

They make some nice claims, but there has to be a reason very few people are using it. I am hoping that your amazing chemistry knowledge can shed some light on it for me. Thank you so much in advance!

I did some searching and this one is called Spectrastat G2, and I found this post from Chemist's Corner, which may help. Someone commented that they used it and stopped because of cost. The company notes that a product could be called "preservative free" if used, which is one of my huge pet peeves about products as this isn't true. You're using something that is a preservative in the product. It might not be a traditional one, like parabens, but it's still a preservative. Ahem...I digress...

There's some information on the caprylhydroxamic acid in this article, and I found this datasheet about it.

Are you using this preservative? Can you share your thoughts? Where did you buy it so I can get some to try? Any information you can share with us, lovely readers, will be greatly appreciated!

6 comments:

bbrooksdavis said...

I've never used or heard of either but am interested to hear what those who have and you have to say.

jessica9591 said...

Im working as professional chemist and i really love your blog. My company uses spectrastat which is a little different than the G2 version but we have had great success as far as PET testing goes. So far every batch weve made comes out clean. We also use a lot of microcare SB which is less expensive if anyone was worried about cost.

Siobhan McComb said...

I purchased a jar of what www.ingredientstodiefor.com calls Vegecide (INCI:Glyceryl Monocaprylate (and) Glyceryl Monoundecylenate)
link here: http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item/VegeCide/925/
I just used it for a water based face lotion and am currently testing its shelf life. I am worried about the antimicrobial abilities based on further research. But we shall see how it goes I am 1 week in. I may add Potassium Sorbate, more citric acid and a essential oil blend in my next batch. I really want to stay away from all endocrine disrupters and questionable chemicals for preservatives.

Lorraine said...

Hi Susan...
I purchased Caprylhydroxamic Acid (and) Glyceryl Caprylate (and) Glycerin from Essential Wholesale: http://www.essentialwholesale.com/product/2555/caprylhydroxamic-acid-and-glyceryl-caprylate-and-glycerin
I used it for the first time this week, so I can't really comment on it's long term activity yet. I thought I nice to work with, though. And yes, it's pricey: $6.55 for 1 ounce to $32.65 for 8 ounces. I do love the idea of naturally derived preservatives, though, so I'm more than willing to give them a try. I also bought Vegecide, Siobhan, and used that for the first time this week as well. So, we shall see!
Thank you Susan for sharing the wealth of your knowledge and experience with us!!
Have a great weekend!

Lorraine

Ally D. said...

So far I have had success with this in my shampoos. However, at 1% usage (recommended usage is 1-1.2%) it curdled my lotion emulsion! I was very disappointed to say the least. I may try to pre-mix it with a bit of the emulsion and then add it in that way to see if it helps.

Ngan Phan said...

I put it in my Hyaluronic acid 1% serum. I want to use it for preservative at 1.2% and it made the liquid cloudy. I don't know why. Can anyone explain why it make the liquid cloudy?