Friday, May 5, 2017

I'm back from the conference, and joyously exhausted!

Wow, that was one heck of a conference in Las Vegas through the Handmade Soap & Cosmetics Guild! I presented two demos of facial moisturizers to a room of at least 100 people - and more during the first one - which was so much fun and resulted in the hashtags #ducks are evil and #don'tputmentholonyourbum, so you know a good time was had by all. I hope those of you who received samples enjoyed them.

I'll be posting the recipes here shortly as a free PDF as well as a paid e-zine that's almost an e-book on the ingredients we used. 

I met Kevin Dunn - and he knew who I was as a fellow columnist at Handmade magazine! Squee! - and sat in on a seminar he taught about how to determine the experimental saponification value of oils, which has inspired me to make some CP soap soon! (Yeah, I know, right? Me, making soap? Who woulda thunk it?) He spoke about how to test pH in soap without a meter, and even said that one isn't necessary!  (I'll share more about all of this shortly, too! I was so inspired!)

I met Kenna Cote of Modern Soapmaking, the one who helped me set up my Patreon account. She was just as awesome as I thought she would be!

It was great to meet my blog readers and Patreon subscribers. Thank you all so much for your kindness, support, and enthusiasm! I had such a great time speaking to you as we met in the halls and conference rooms, and I look forward to interacting with you more here in the comments or by e-mail.

A huge thank you to Jen at Lotioncrafter for sponsoring my facial moisturizer 101 presentations! She was amazing, setting up all the containers so I'd have them at hand, making sure she sent more than enough of each ingredient, and cheer leading me all the way through the process! She spent hours finding a kettle and a mixer that we needed, even Ubering away from the strip to the nearest Wal-Mart for supplies. She went so over and above the call of duty to make sure our presentations were a success, and it such a joy to call her my friend. I'm so lucky to have spent six days with her on this trip!

Some great news for us Canucks! The Guild is coming to Canada in 2018 for a conference! I'm hoping for Montreal so we can get smoked meat, poutine, and bagels. (Maybe they'll invite Joe Schwarcz, the amazing chemist from McGill who writes such awesome books. I would so fangirl if I met him!) No matter where it might be, I'll be there! (I'll apply to teach again, but even if they don't pick me, I'll attend!)

I did a few video lessons while there, which I'll post here when they're up. Look for videos on making an anti-frizz spray, a lip gloss, and lip scrub.

I had hoped to make ones for a few other products, like shampoo and conditioner, but unfortunately, the wrong ingredients were ordered and others were missing, so we couldn't make them. Too bad, eh?

Don't you love those micas from Windy Point Soap Making? They're magic purple, magic red, and red-blue! And check out the lip gloss containers from Lotioncrafter. I'm a huge fan of silver, and these ones looked great in the video lesson. I'll be posting the recipe for these lovelies soon...

Speaking of Windy Point Soap, did you know I'm teaching out there during the grand opening of their shop and warehouse on the Victoria Day weekend (May 20th and 21st)? Join me for classes on lotion making, anhydrous products, and hair care! If you can't make it, let us know what might interest you and perhaps Michele and Keith will have me back! (There were some discussions around here about an intermediate or advanced lotion making class in the future. Please let me know what you'd like to see in the comments below.)

Phew, that's a lot of stuff, eh?

I'm spending a few days catching up on things like my column for Handmade magazine, the comments here and on Patreon, checking my e-mail, and making a to-do list for what I'll be doing next.

Thanks to you, my lovely readers, for spending time with me and making me feel appreciated and supported wherever I go. It hasn't been a great year for us around the Barclay-Nichols's household, but we're starting to feel life is getting a little more normal every day.

*Remember! I am beholden to no one! I provide these links so you can learn more about the things I've used and liked, and I get nothing from no one if you click through and buy anything. I hope you do as I really like these lovely people so much, but I provide them only for reference, not to enrich myself. 

2 comments:

Danuta Kilar said...

I am happy you had great time at conference, I would not mind see you in action Susan. :)

glamaretto said...

Joe Schwarcs is featured in a an episode of Vision TV's Organic Panic found here: http://www.visiontv.ca/videos/organic-panic-e1-cosmetics-full-episode/. It's quite a balanced and level-headed look at the chemicals-in-cosmetics-are-bad zeitgeist. He'd be a great speaker at a handmade cosmetics conference. :)