Friday, October 14, 2016

Newbie Tuesday: Making facial cleansers - feedback

You've been awesome in sharing your thoughts about the facial cleansers you've been making, but I'd like to hear more from you.

What do you think of the recipe you made? (Please specify which recipe you made or share if it's your own version)
What do you like?
What don't you like?
Is there something you'd like to include we haven't covered?
Do you have some different surfactants you'd like to try?
And so on...

I'd love to hear from you so we can get tweak this facial cleanser to be even more awesome! Once you've made something you love, we'll move on to making an exfoliating facial cleanser and one in a foamer bottle, then move to making toners and eye gels. Woo!

If you'd like to play along or if you've missed a post, here's a listing of the complete series...
Newbie Tuesday: We're making facial products! 
Shopping list
Equipment list
Let's start making facial cleansers! - Your skin type
Surfactants - what are they?
Meet the surfactants
pH of our surfactants
Facial products - the base recipe


Unknown said...

Ok, I am here to report back! I intended to follow the recipe with green tea and chamomile extract but then realized I didn't have either extracts on hand. I loosely based the below recipe on the cleanser with aloe for dry skin, a couple posts back. Here are notes:

17% BSB
10% amphosol
10% glycerine
3% polyquat 7
2% hydrolyzed oat protein (I call this hydro-oat-proat in my head)
0.5% liq. Germall plus

46% h2o - distilled
10% aloe water
0.5% honeysuckle extract (powder)
About 2% crothix

I intended to use all 3 surfactants from the original recipe but accidentally put in an additional 5% BSB instead of SLeS. I also over-poured the BSB. I tried to accurately calculate a half percent of the extract and germall, but my scale only has 1 gram increments. Might be time to invest in a scale for smaller measurements.

What did I think? Well, I decided it's the smell of amphosol that I am not too fond of. I need to brainstorm how to make the cleanser smell nice - I tend to dislike most essential oils. The colour is ok so far, the honeysuckle turned it a light amber colour. The cleanser removed all my face makeup (didn't try it on my eyes), and didn't leave my dry skin parched or tight feeling. I purposely didn't try any lotion afterwards, just to see what the cleanser felt like. I always moisturizer after my cleanser in my daily routine, and will continue to do so when using this cleanser, as my skin is very very dry right now with all this stormy weather.

Unknown said...

Oops, forgot to include my name above! It's kaylee :)

Missy Wehling said...

I'm a little late in the game here but here is the recipe I made:

15% c14-16 olefin sulfonate
15% DLS
10% cocamidopropyl betaine
3% glycerin
3% polyquaternium-7
2% hydrolysed oat
0.5 % Germall Plus

30.5% Distilled water
10% Witch Hazel
10% Aloe
0.5% Chamomile extract
0.5% Rosemary extract

2% Crothix

Lately my face has been acne prone and very oily. I have used this formula for a week now, twice a day. I wear makeup daily. The cleanser came out to be a brownish color and very thin. I didn't add any fragrance but it has a tea-like smell from the chamomile and rosemary extracts. I actually don't mind the smell because it doesn't linger after rinsed off.

This cleanser is great at gently removing all excessive oil without drying out my skin. I have noticed that the deep pimples on my chin are actually receding rather than coming to a head and bursting. One of my favorite things about this cleanser is how easily it rinses off. I can go without moisturizer with this but I am in the habit of using a moisturizer anyways.