Sunday, August 21, 2016

Weekend Wonderings: A bunch of stuff to share with you

Thank you so much for all your kind words and good wishes for my family this week. I have the loveliest readers, and your good thoughts and prayers for us have really helped me so much in what I think may be the worst month of my life.

My mom is out of the hospital, but she's still quite ill, so we're caring for her at home. (Since writing this this morning, she's gone back in and I'm writing this from the ER.) Unfortunately, this doesn't leave me much time to work on the blog, answering your comments and questions, but I will do my best as writing makes me feel slightly more sane for a while. (It's really hard to find a solid hour in which to write, and I don't do well with interruptions.) I continue to ask for your patience as we figure out how to adapt to these new and exhausting changes.

On a happier note, check out my new column in Handmade Magazine, "The Science of SPF". I'm happy I can spread information on sunscreen as well as why we shouldn't make our own.

And I encourage you to take a look at the new series for Newbie Tuesday - Facial products. I've put up a shopping list if you want to play along!

Are you getting into your workshop and making things in this horrible hot weather? Or are you, like me, yearning for the cooler months? (I hate summer more than I can express in mere words, so just picture me shouting and stamping my feet as I say this!) What are you making this week? 

14 comments:

Suzie T said...

Glad to hear your Mom is out of the hospital and I hope she is on her way to a full and speedy recovery!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Thank you, Suzie. Unfortunately, in the 2 hours since I wrote that she's been re-admitted.

Julie said...

Hi Susan,
I am sending all my best wishes to your mom. I really hope she is feeling better soon.
The Ottawa region has been really hot this summer too. I have a lots of new cosmetic ideas I want to try, but doesn't dare turn on the oven. Still I recently try my hand at making spray on detangler. My daughter has curly hair and I like to use a detangler/conditioner after the shower to help comb her hair. It turned out ok for a first trial, but a little more liquid that I had in mind. Now I know I can add a bit more BTMS 50 or other goodies for her hair and still be sprayable.

Take care,
Julie

Belinda Karst said...

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family Susan!

Belinda

Stephanie Cloud Seery said...

You asked what I'm making this week! I'm making mineral eyeshadow and several tinted lip balms for a friend, as well as a bronzer stick and a shimmery white "bright lighter" stick (from Humblebeeandme). It's a busy week but a lot of fun creating stuff. I'm sorry to hear about your mom and that she's back in the hospital. I hope it's all resolved and she's healthy again soon. Best wishes!

Heather Behan said...

Thinking of you and your family Susan. I do hope your mum gets better soon.

Heather

Emily Coutts said...

Thinking of you and your family and hoping your mum heals well and soon.

This week I've made a body lotion based on rice bran oil (perfumed it way too much - jasmine absolute, rose absolute, phytoscents rose, chamomile, lemon myrtle) but it smelt great :) if not overwhelming. I've also made a face lotion which my friend likes, but something in it makes my skin sting -possibly the essential oils :-$ ;-/..

Ruth H said...

Praying for your family..

Judy Garcia said...

Still thinking about you Susan! Hugs!!!

Nancy said...

Hi Susan, Sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she gets well soon.
This week I tried your foot scrub recipe with pumice and baking soda. I think it's really awesome! This test batch will stay here. I don't have phenonip (yet); I only have germall plus liquid, so I just came back to read your info on preservatives. Love your blog! Thanks, Nancy

Lise M Andersen said...

Sending warm and healing thoughts from Copenhagen

p said...

So sorry your mom has been readmitted. Sending wishes for a full and speedy recovery. <3

p.s. Very nice piece on SPF! :)

Judith said...

So sorry to hear about your Mom :(

Shannon Roberson said...

Susan, I'm sorry to hear that your mother is not well. I hope she gets better soon. Please take care of yourself so you can care for her.