Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Weekday Wonderings: Can I use a solubilizer after making something with oils?

Thanks so much for supporting the blog by visiting! I can see a rise in the stats and comments already, and I appreciate it! Also, thank you for supporting us on Patreon! This month's e-zine for subscribers will be about gels - carbomers, EMT 10, ZEN, xanthan gum, and more! I've been having great fun making all kinds of gels from under eye moisturizers to after shave to toners. 

In this post, Oil based sprays and perfumes, Jo asks: I'm fairly certain you've answered this question above, but I'm a newbie to all this and I made some body mists using a combination of essential oils, aloe, almond oil, witch hazel and hydrosols and I ended up with major seperation. Can i tip it all into a larger container and add solubiser to fix it? I'd really hate to waste what I've made - any advice woukd be awesome.

Also, do you do classes? It's so refreshing to find someone who truly understands this stuff.

To answer the last question first, yes, I do! I teach classes in spring, autumn, and fall at Voyageur Soap & Candle. Normally I teach back to basics (anhydrous products), hair care products, facial products, lotion making 101, and advanced lotion making, but I think we're adding a gel making class as well this fall. (These relate to the e-books I have written on each topic...) 

I have plans to do some on-line courses and videos, but these are still a while off. For now, I encourage you to check out the newbie section for tutorials for all kinds of things, like lotions, whipped butters, and conditioners! 

But back to your question, unfortunately, no, there's really no saving it at this point. Normally we would take the oil soluble ingredients like essential oils and almond oil and mix that together at a 1:1 ratio with a solubilizer like polysorbate 80, caprylyl/capryl glucoside, Caprol Micro Express, or PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, to name a few possibilities, before adding it to your product. (It isn't always perfect at a 1:1 ratio, but that's a starting point.) Then add it to the water part of your product. 

At this point, you can try adding enough solubilizer to cover how much oil soluble ingredients you've added already and see what happens, but my experience has been that this probably won't work. But it's better to try than to throw it all away. At the very least, you've learned what not to do next time! 

As an aside, when we make anything containing water, we must use an appopriate preservative. Check out the preservatives section to see the comparison chart for some ideas for what you could use here. 

Related posts:

6 comments:

LaTasha C. said...

Hi Susan! I absolutely LOVE your blog, amount of information you have here, and how you clearly explain everything for those who are newbies (like myself). I just really want to say thank you for all of your time and effort to keep this blog going!

I do have a question... Are your e-books still available? I ordered your Hair Care Products last week, but haven't received the book yet. Just wondering because I do want to order all of the e-books that you have written! Thanks so much and God bless!!

LaTasha :-)

Supriya said...

Hi Susan
First of all a big thank you now I am daring to make shampoo for me and my 10 year old daughter ( already made succesfully hair conditioned custard and leave in thanks to u and they r huge success in my family I do it only for me n my family no bussiness )
Now I need ur help to order few surfactant for shampoo n bubble wash plus shampoo bar from ur recipe can you please guide me list is below for oily scalp n dry ends with lots lots frizze and I live near sea shore say I can reach to beach in 7 min walk so humidity like hell
Dls mild, c14-16 olefin sulfonate,cocamidopropyl betane,slsa powder ,sci prills,sci liquid,sles, liquid crothix,,peg 40 caster oil,polysorbate 80 , ez pearl
Now can u guide me are these surfactant are ok or should I omit or add any another surfactant as per my need since I have to order I can change order
Thanks again
Supriya

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi LaTasha! I sent you the e-book twice on July 27th. As I said in my follow up e-mail, it might have ended up in your spam folder, so check there. I'll send it again in a few minutes, so please check your spam in-box if you don't see it by 8:00 am PDT. I'm not sure what else to do if I've sent it three time and it isn't going through. (I'd be happy to send you the copies of the e-mails confirming I've sent it, if you wish...)

Hi Supriya! Have you looked at the hair care section for liquid shampoos for oily hair? I have quite a lot of them you could try...

Supriya said...

Hi Susan thank you for quick reply
After checking your complete section about shampoo and surfactant ,these are the ingredient I chose to buy to use just need your approval so I can be rest assure (and a back up of experienced person like you )that I am going rite directions sorry for being so silly
Thank you

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Supriya! Are you buying all of these? They look like a great array of surfactants to me! Those all the ones I have in my workshop!

Supriya said...

Thanks Susan
Yeh I am going to buy all these just needed a nod from you which I got and in india we don't have any web site where I can buy small quantity so have to buy from a supplier who supply me for my creams and lotion stuff coz of my daughter ezima n been buying from him since last 10 years but he is wholesaler so I buy stuff generally once in year this way less trouble for him as he has to send me sample size ( same things he agreed to do with surfactant so has to think for year of experiments 😆), somethings like BTMS I have to order from usa when some of my relative comes like once in year or so as it is ill leagle to buy anything in dollars from any where we can only buy in Indian rupees
Thanks once again from bottom of my heart u r a great teacher which I am blessed to have
Supriya