Thursday, July 28, 2016

Please visit this site, not your RSS reader, the link that by-passes me, or the e-mail subscription

I don't talk about the inner workings of the blog very much, but I would ask those of you reading this somewhere other than on my blog - for instance, in an RSS feed, something like Blog Lovin', or even through the e-mail subscription on my blog - to pay me a visit soon!

When you by-pass the blog by linking directly to a PDF or by reading it on a blog feed, I have no idea you're out there. I need my daily stats as a way to sell myself as a speaker at a conference or with a publisher when I send out a book proposal, and if you read me somewhere else, you may as well not exist.

When you by-pass the blog, you're less likely to interact by asking a question, answering someone else's question, or making a comment. And this ruins the sense of community I'm trying to build here.

And it's nice for me to know people are visiting. Sometimes I feel like I'm writing for myself when I don't see you out there. (It's pretty amazing to have a day like yesterday with probably the most visitors I've ever had!)

As I don't want to have to go to another way of counting stats, like having you e-mail me for downloads, I'm asking you to start visit the blog here rather than reading it another way. You don't have to visit every day, but if you're a regular reader, stop by once a week, have a cup of tea, and let me know you're there. I can't make you do that and I can't stop you from reading it through other sources, but if you like what you are reading here and wish to support me, please find 10 minutes in your week to read the post here instead of your usual, by-passing way.

I'm also asking you not to link directly to the PDFs on my blog. The only payment I ask for them is a quick visit to the blog, and I don't think that's a lot to ask. If I continue to see people by-passing the blog for them, I will move to a system where you'll have to enter a code or email me or something similar. (I'm pretty serious about this request...) Please show me you appreciate the PDFs by paying me in your attention by visiting the blog to get them.

You probably don't think this is a big deal or that I'm asking you to do something onerous, but those stats are vital for opportunities to make the blog and my writing career bigger. Every person who visits here shows there's an interest in the material and me as a writer. I know you don't have all the time in the world every day, but if you are interested in seeing more blog material, seeing me at a conference near you, or seeing a real live book, please take the time to visit and show me you're out there.

32 comments:

Paige B said...

I'm always here Susan! xoxo :)
I usually just have a tab that I leave open to the url swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com. Then the latest post is always displayed and I don't miss anything!. I'm looking forward to your exploits with all your goodies from LC and FSS. Soon, I will post some stuff about a couple of emulsifiers I've recently tried that you haven't yet (that I've seen) assuming you're interested...CreamMaker Fluid from Making Cosmetics, Sepinov EMT 10 from LC and Simulgreen 18-2 from LC.

Cheers!

electrikat65 said...

I visit at least once a day. I love your blog and depend on it for my sanity..really.

electrikat65 said...

Did you get tired of the you tube channel? I noticed all of the posts are two years ago.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

I don't have time to make videos right now as my focus is on a lot of writing. I have plans for some soon, but they really are so much work.

Gina said...

Good to know.

QueenBee said...

Have made a note to ensure I do- I always read your Point of Interest posts, thank you for your input and expertise you really are read worldwide!
Cathy from London UK

Heather Behan said...

Your blog is on my laptop's front page and I check in nearly every day. I get most of my self-esteem from being able to tell myself I'm studying 'cosmetic chemistry' - from your wonderful blog. I can't tell you how much I appreciate everything you write. Thank you Susan. Heather

Jessica Cannon said...

Thanks for your blog, I really enjoy reading it - need to decide which of the e-books I "need" first, I want them all!!!!

Please keep on "keepin'on", you bring a lot of knowledge and joy to so many people!

k stone said...

Thank you for the blog. It's my morning coffee ritual.
I appreciate you and all your hard work.

Judith said...

You can just put excerpts in the rss feeds and email, so people will be intrigued and have to click through and come here :)

Danielle Levenson said...

I admit I am guilty of reading only in my email at least half of the time. Sorry, I will make sure I go to your blog to read from now on as I know how important stats are. I love your blog and all of the informing you freely share here. I don't use all of the chemicals that you use but I still buy your books to support you and the knowledge you provide to our community of crafters. Keep it up, we are here for you!

Susan L said...

I always read your posts, but I have now put a link on my Google homepage directly to your blog (thanks Paige B).

suzibee said...

I thank you again for all you do here. I didn't know that the email readers worked that way regarding stats. You are really appreciated for what you do!
Your blog is so valuable.
Also I have been meaning to ask if you are doing an ebook regarding mineral makeup. I think you mentioned it about the time I first started reading your blog.
I have your hair care book and love it. I will get your other books as I can afford them.
Suzi B

Kath Collard said...

Another interesting post on how the system works, thank you again for your efforts. I love my POI fix every other day 😆. Kath Qld Australia

Dianne Bowler said...

Thanks for the background of how it all works. Happy to support you always. Your blog is my go to link for learning about ingredients.

Victoria Stewart said...

present! :)

Anamaria said...

Present all the time

Maria said...

You can get the stats on how many people are signed up to your RSS feed--just go to the RSS feed provider and you can see how many people have signed up to the feed. I use this all the time when I have to provide stats. I use feedburner as the RSS feed and the feedburner login tells me how many people are subscribed via email and vis RSS!

But I do stop by!

CC said...

I am not a person who posts comments, but I will say that I love your blog and come here several times a week. You have helped me more than you'll ever know!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Maria! I don't use an RSS feed, there's one attached to the blogger system, and I'm afraid I have no idea how to use it. Do you know much about that one? If so, could pay you for your time to help me with this system?

Mala said...

Apparently you have 525 readers using the Feedly RSS reader (myself included). Just in case you wanted to know. ;)

<3 your blog, btw.

Marcia said...

I had no idea. I was using a reader but I will read directly from your blog now.

Baby Kat said...

Good to know! I will bookmark it so I know where you are :)

Karen van Nieuwenhuizen said...

Thanks Susan!

Caroline said...

I tend to read the dailies by email so I don't miss anything and do research on the blog. Really didn't know there was a downside for you. I'll make sure I click through every week. Thanks so much for such an amazing center of learning!

Maria said...

Susan,

I don't use Blogger, but the RSS feed for it is Feedburner. You could put the feed on your blog for people to sign up to get your blog each day (that is what I have done). Then you see these subscribers and can tell how many people are signed up to the feed. You can also set it up so that people can sing up via email (Then, instead of looking at the feed each day, they would get an email in their box whenever you post). Comments are not part of the email or the feed so to comment they would still need to visit the blog!

I'll send you an email offline and we can discuss so that I have a better understanding of what you want to do--and what you want to avoid!

Maria

Lise M Andersen said...

Susan, you can get folks to click through to your blog if you put a 'stop bar' at one point in your posts (I always place one after the initial 'what this post is going to be about' text). Then no matter who is subscribing through an RSS feed, Bloglovin' or whatever will have to click the 'read more' text to read the rest of the post on your blog. :)

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Thank you everyone for your support!

Hi Maria! Thanks for the information. I haven't had a chance to really sit down and get it into my head, but I will later this week when I have a chance to breathe.

Hi Lise! Is that a HTML thing or a blog thing? I can't find out how to do that. Do you have some ideas? It sounds like what I want!

Lise M Andersen said...

Hi Susan -- It's built into Blogger -- there's a symbol in the editing tools along the top that shows a page 'broken' in half with a dotted line. Insert it by choosing that icon, then placing the cursor where u want the line break and clicking. The editing window will show a dotted line where the post will stop and folks will have to click 'read more' to see the rest of the post. They'll also view it that way on your blog, so visitors can actually scroll through more of your posts easily when visiting the site as well. Mail me if you have trouble with it and I'll walk you through it with a few screenshots. :)

Pretty Hands On said...

I have only come to your blog to read it. I love to stop by and read your excellent material. Thank you for your hard work. ~Lisa

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Lise! I'm trying the broken page thing today! Thank you so much for sharing that with me!

Lise M Andersen said...

Hi Susan, YAY! I noticed! Coolness! Loving the overview it gives too. :D