Sunday, June 5, 2016

Weekend Wonderings: Crazy yellow lotions and digital scales!

Thank you all so much for your lovely support of the blog through Patreon. If you'd like to learn more about how to subscribe to the blog to keep it free and get some exclusive Patreon stuff, please click here!

Check out the products we made in the first ever advanced lotion making class at Voyageur Soap & Candle in Surrey, B.C. yesterday!

If you're interested in knowing when my classes are offered, please email me and I can put your on my e-mail notification list. I won't bug you constantly with e-mail and I won't sell your address, I promise! Or you can get in touch with Voyageur and get on the waiting list for the next class. I hope we can do some in the summer in another location as it's far too warm in the loft. It was horrible in May and almost sickening yesterday with the outside temperature at 30 ˚C. I can't imagine what July would be like! 

I love these pictures taken by Emily for so many reasons, but I wanted to address the colour of this lotion. It's a 5% sea buckthorn oil lotion that is incredibly yellow and awesome looking! It goes on yellow for a second, then turns white on your skin. Just wanted to remind you to be aware of the colour of the ingredients you use. They might just colour your product. They might colour your skin!

Also, consider your scale! Digital scales do not like to measure little amounts. For instance, if you have a 1 gram scale, anything under about 5 grams isn't going to be that accurate. If I have a 100 gram lotion I'm making, adding that 1 gram fragrance oil is likely to be off. So I put my jug on the scale and calculate one gram from the higher amount. It doesn't matter what it is. If my jug and lotion weigh 200 grams together, just add 1 gram of fragrance oil to make it 201. If it weighs 500 grams, just add 1 gram to make it 501 grams. And so on.

Sorry for the shortened post today, but it's incredibly hot and I am not in the right head space to write when I'm warm like this. My air conditioning died on my way home from class yesterday, so I couldn't cool down then either! I do have an air conditioner in my computer room and I'm sitting right next to it, but it's still warmer than I like. I really need to move to Greenland for the summer every year!!! (Anyone from Greenland want a visitor for a few months? I'll teach you how to make lotions and such!) 


Bob & Angela said...


One trick I've used throughout my career as a cosmetic chemist is to use a flexible plastic transfer pipette to weigh out materials.This is especially useful if you want to weigh less than a gram with a gram scale. They're cheap enough to be disposable, but they're not always that accurately marked and each is just a little different from the others, so how do I do this?

Knowing that a digital scale is most accurate at the middle third of it's range (for a 1 kilo scale, that's ~300-700 grams), first I put enough weight on it to get into that range. Then, I fill the pipette, and weigh the total of 10 drops (or 20, 50, or 100). Divide the total weight by the number of drops, and you get an average weight per drop, which will be quite accurate for that specific material as long as you use that particular pipette.

Pro tip - cutting a transfer pipette in half lengthwise gives you two clean disposable mini-scoops for weighing small amounts of powders.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

I love love love those pipettes! I use bigger ones than those - the 7 ml ones - and I use them for everything!

Great advice, Bob! Thank you!