Wednesday, April 27, 2016

My visit to Lotioncrafter

Hi everyone! Sorry for the ongoing silence, but I had the most epic weekend on Orcas Island with Jen from Lotioncrafter, and I simply haven't had time to update the blog until today.

Don't worry, I've been seeing your messages and comments, and will get to them in the order in which they're received this weekend. Please do not send me two or three messages. It's unnecessary and a bit annoying. 

She was so kind to let us stay in her cottage, which is located in the middle of town, and Jen and her husband, Tom, took us out for meals all over the place! The New Leaf Cafe was lovely!

Orcas Island is one of the San Juan Islands located off the west coast of Washington State situated in the Salish Sea. It is surrounded by the bluest, saltiest water, and everything in town references that amazing ocean.

Her warehouse is as magnificent as you expect. I felt like Charlie after he won the golden ticket! She had aisle after aisle of cool ingredients, each one of them something I'd like to play with in my products. Dimethicone! Propylene glycol! Matrixyl 3000! It was as if my wish-list came to life!

We spent the first day in the lab fan girling about new things we could use in a lotion and getting to know each other. (I swear we were separated at birth!)

We spent the second day playing in this magnificent lab, replete with homogenizer, water activity tester, viscosity tester, and everything else I want! We made a few products, including an eye brow re-growing gel, but I was getting tired with standing for almost three days straight, so we called it a day!

Jen is an amazing person and very very generous, both in soul and person. I've come home with more ingredients than I can use in a year, and my face hurts from smiling and laughing so much. You'll see loads of recipes in the coming weeks made with the ingredients I received from Jen, including some new facial sera, cleansers, toners, gels, and lotions containing exciting cosmeceuticals!

What a great trip! Thanks, Jen! You're awesome!

14 comments:

Jenny Welch said...

Susan, in the crazy-busy days that make up my life, this weekend will stand out as an oasis and a reminder of why I got into this wonderful business. We had such fun! Playing with chemicals, learning new things, creating new products, what's not to love? I'm so glad you and Raymond were able to come to visit, and the lab and cottage doors are always open. Jen

Mrs Spaceship said...

That sounds lovely, I'm glad you were feeling well enough to visit. I'm looking forward to seeing all the wonderful new things.

Lesley Willson said...

Sounds like you did get the Golden Ticket! How exciting to get to go and play in an amazing lab.

Pam said...

Thanks for sharing your visit! Lovely really!

Baby Kat said...

How exciting! I can imagine that you truly felt like a kid in a candy store 😊
I have purchased from Lotioncrafter several times and I love the quality and the amazing variety of products. I am looking forward to hearing more about your visit.

Mollie said...

LOTIONCRAFTERS has excellent shipping service. Jen was very helpful when I first started making lotions and didn't know up from down. In fact, when I ordered your Lotions 101 from Lotioncrafters, I thought Jen was the author LOL.

Pepper7 said...

I'm glad you had a great time. I have never had the opportunity to speak with Jen, but I love Lotioncrafters ! That was the first place I ordered from when I embarked on my lotion making journey. I thought I found a hidden treasure, I had no idea that other people knew it existed. Nieve of me, I know. I love the selection and quality of thier products and the shipping is amazing. You never forget your first ��
Margi

Krogers said...

I am so jealous I love Lotioncrafter! Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I can't wait to see the new formulations you came up with from Lotioncrafters.

Carolyn from Florida said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! I'm very jealous.... Love Lotioncrafter and cannot wait to see what wonderful new recipes you come up with!

Kathleen said...

Awwww, how lovely you got away and spent time with someone you have so much in common with! I can't wait to see what you formulate next!

Srjnm said...

I live in Olympia, WA. I wish I can visit Jen!! I would have enjoyed meeting both of you. So next time you visit Jen, maybe you can offer a class. Even if it's to showcase ingredients available. Let me know when that happens.....I'll be the first one to show up!!! :)

Catarina Tang said...

Wow??? Is like a dream comes true!! I wish to do the same in my life time... Wow you are sooo lucky!

Elizabeth Aqui-Seto said...

Susan, you are indeed very lucky to have been given the opportunity to visit with Jen at Lotioncrafter. Sounds like you had a real adventure and my idea of an ideal way to spend a vacation. I have such a keen interest in DIY personal care products, I’m planning to take a few weeks off in June, to do some serious formulating and figure out what’s going wrong with some of my recent products. Up until now, I’ve not had any serious product failures, mainly in part due to your thorough explanations and support on the blog.

In a previous post I was raving about Lotionpro 165 and how much I loved this new emulsifier. Well, it seems, a lot has gone wrong since I wrote that post. I’ve made four lotions, using both your recipes and a couple of my own, with Lotionpro. Three of the products, within a 3 week period, all went flat (liquid). I know it’s pointless providing you with such vague information, without the recipe. I’m currently winding down my current job contract and will try to provide specifics in a couple weeks.

I’ve taken into account all kinds of scenarios that could account for the products liquefying on me and can’t really figure out what went wrong. What is really puzzling is the fact, that all the products were perfectly fine for a couple weeks, before they started going liquid. In all my years of using Polawax, this has never happened. I’m hoping that I don’t have to go back to Polawax as I can really feel the difference between the two emulsifiers and much prefer Lotionpro.

One of the recipes that I used, with exceptions only in the 21% oils, is your Lotionpro 165 Tester Lotion with Pumpkin Seed Oil. The final product was amazingly silky, smooth, no soaping effect, perfect consistency. Two-Three weeks later, it liquefied.

I guess my question to Lotioncrafter or your subscribers is, has anyone experienced anything similar using Lotionpro 165 in lotions?

I’m really very anxious to understand what I’m doing wrong and will test Lotionpro using some very inexpensive ingredients, just to see how they hold up over a 4-week period. And I will try to send detailed information on the recipes that went wrong.

Cheers,
E.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi everyone! I really did get lucky. And Jen and I are talking about the possibilty of classes, if there's interest. (Jen is the busiest person I've ever met. She works so hard to make sure Lotioncrafter is the epitome of awesome, so she has little time to do much else! She is amazing!)

Hi Elizabeth! I have never had that happen to me with the Lotionpro 165 lotions. I have one I've been using since September based on the body butter I made, and it's still in great shape. I would love to hear more from you when you wind down that contract and have some time. Let's see what's going on there!

This is an example of why we need to take the time to test our products over a long period of time before selling, though, eh? We need at least a year to see how things change or work/not work!