Sunday, March 13, 2016

Why I'm not at the 2017 Soapmakers' Conference in Niagara Falls

As you may or may not know, I won't be attending the 2017 Soapmakers' Guild conference in Niagara Falls.

Why?

I simply can't afford it.

As a presenter, although the Guild offered to pay for my hotel, flight, and some food, they did not offer an honourarium or fee for teaching four workshops at last year's or this year's conference. As I need Raymond to be with me to help with the workshops and help with possible physical needs like my back pain or diabetes - I went scarily low blood sugar twice at the last one - I would have to pay for his flight across the country. (The Guild offered to pay for his food package while there.)

I don't make money from this blog. I take no advertising or sponsorships. Every penny you pay for an e-book through the blog or a supplier like Lotioncrafter or Voyageur Soap & Candle goes to fund our youth programs. The only ways I make money from my knowledge of bath & body products is by writing the column for Handmade magazine and teaching classes on the weekends at Voyageur Soap & Candle.

I've already spent a great deal of time and money preparing for the 2016 conference, and I didn't plan classes for (most of) March and April to give me time to rest before and afterwards. I don't know how I would be able to do this all over again next year and afford to go.

I'm sad I won't be there. It was so amazing to talk to people who are as passionate about bath & body products as I am! But I'm sure you'll have a lovely time listening to Dr Kevin Dunn! (Someone get me an autograph, please!)

8 comments:

Lise M Andersen said...

Hi Susan - here's hoping good things will happen - both to your health and to your pocketbook. Hugs from Copenhagen

Danuta Kilar said...

I can afford it either, even it is 200 km from my home. The back would kill me driving that long. Many people will miss you on Conference,
I am sorry you are suffering not only problems with back, but also diabetes. Susan you take a good care of you please. You are very important person for people like me, people adore you, you inspire them. Hopefully you will have a better time soon, and the money can appear in the most unexpected way.

Elizabeth Aqui-Seto said...

Susan, I can only echo the sentiments of Danuta and Lise.

Yours is the only blog I click on, daily, to read your updates, and review past postings. One never knows what could happen in the next year; perhaps a crowdfunding campaign will pay for you and Raymond to attend. I can't think of anyone else, more deserving of such a gift. You've dedicated so much of your time to the blog, I think it's hard to put a dollar amount on the information provided. It's really priceless.

I've never set up a crowdfunding campaign, but I know that I would support one for you to attend this conference.

Elizabeth

Marcia said...

I would support a crowd funding campaign! Your blog and ebooks are my "go to" and I'd love payback in some way.
Thanks,
Marcia M.

LS said...

I totally understand. I hope your pain improves, and that your diabetes is well under control! Thanks for all you do.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Thanks everyone for all your kind words. It looks like there have been some big changes in the Guild this week, so who knows what will happen in the future, eh? (I don't mind volunteering my time for the conference, I just don't like the idea of being out of pocket and having to work so hard to be a volunteer!)

Jeannette Juroff said...

You're an amazing person and possess a wealth of knowledge. You're unbiased toward brand and have no conflict of interest. It's downright foolish not to provide you with an all expense paid trip plus throw in some cash. We, the shapers and lotion crafters, can't rely 100% on a companies recommendation for fear of marketting. This was dumb on their part. I would say I'm disappointed but it doesn't surprise me.

Jeannette Juroff said...

Soapers (damn auto correct)