Monday, March 7, 2016

A box of goodies and an interview with Humblebee & Me


Wow! Look at this amazing box of ingredients sent to me by Maggie at the Formulator Sample Shop! Water soluble extracts, oil soluble proteins, emulsifying wax, and their new Phytoscents! These were originally intended for the Guild's conference in Niagara Falls, but since that has been postponed to next year, I can use them make loads of new recipes to post on this blog! 

http://www.formulatorsampleshop.com/

http://www.formulatorsampleshop.com/Scented-Extract-Oils-s/2518.htm


And check out this interview I did with Marie of Humblebee & Me! This picture is of my totally awesome clay creation of bunnies on a log. Now you know why I'm a writer and formulator and not a potter or visual artist. Lest you think to yourself, but she was only 4 when she made it...this is the best I could do now if I tried again! 

http://www.humblebeeandme.com/an-interview-with-point-of-interests-susan-barclay-nichols/


As I'm home in bed with what seems to be the stomach flu, I'll leave you with this picture of my workshop. Mine is not a pretty Pinterest kind of shop with flowers and chalk boards and rustic looking counters. No, mine is a working workshop with papers overflowing from binders and ingredients all over the counters because I hate to not have them close at hand. 

I wish I kept a prettier workshop that looked lovely in photos, but this is who I am. My dad built this from wood he found. I remember him pulling out the nails and sanding it down while he watched TV and tried to ignore my mom yelling that he was making a mess in the den. I think he'd be happy I'm using it for chemistry! 

11 comments:

Elizabeth Aqui-Seto said...

Susan,

I love your workshop - it very closely resembles mine. And those goodies from FSS. Lucky you.

Yes, I only found out on the weekend about the postponement of the Guild's conference in Niagara Falls. I was actually planning to attend in the hobbyist category and surprise you with some new variations on some of your formulae. I guess the surprise is on me - lol

Would be nice if some kind, generous person could fly you out to Toronto to do a weekend seminar. Just planting the thought!!

Cheers,
E.

Elizabeth Aqui-Seto said...

Susan,
The interview with humblebeeandme was excellent. I love your honesty and candor throughout.

E.

Anonymous said...

Love your workshop! and thanks for sharing the knowledge with us (:

Frances

Belinda Romanuski said...

I have many ingredients from them. I love the selection they have. Can't wait to see what you make.

k stone said...

Great interview! Love FSS! Excited to see what you make with the goodies!

cest cheese said...

The bunnies cracked me up. I thought I was looking at a very good rendition of a chunk of ginger!

Pepper7 said...

Susan, I also read the "Humble and Me" blog along with your blog. Great article, but I was surprised to see that she interviewed you because I always thought of both of you on two different sides of the spectrum when it comes to formulating. You were the first blog that I had ever followed,so I use your way of formulating ( like heating and holding for twenty minutes and weighting all ingredients) as my yard stick to measure all others by. Anyways, it was nice to see the cross over. I can't wait to read what you create and your impressions of the phytoscents. I'm been staking those ingredients for months, debating whether to buy them or not. I love that they serve a dual purpose. Thanks for all you do !
Margi

Maggie Ghanem said...

Susan, Glad you received the goodies. Enjoy!

Ruth H said...

Susan, don't ever apologize for your workshop it looks like someone works there I like that...
I am anxious to see, all the fabulous creations you make with that new box of samples.
I just love, love, your blog.

bevcapil said...

I love your workshop, everything is arm's reach. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Elizabeth! I would love to meet you and see your products! You've been a wonderful and long time supporter of this blog, and I would love to meet and hang out for a bit! Who knows? So much has happened at the Guild this week, I might be there in the future after all!

Hi cest cheese! Now you know why I'm a writer!

Yeah, my life is kinda messy. I'm not really a visual person, so my world is all about function. Not so pretty, but definitely well used and loved!