Sunday, January 10, 2016

Weekend Wonderings: Modifying bath bombs

In this post on bath bombs, Emily ask: Can you use bio oil instead of vegetable or soy bean oil?

Are you referring to this product, Bio-Oil? Yes, you could use any type of oil soluble ingredient or oil in a bath bomb. But I'm wondering why use this ingredient? It's really really expensive, and it won't do anything for our skin as it's so diluted in that giant amount of water.

If you use a 100 gram bath bomb, you are using maybe 7 grams of oil in 80 litres of bath water, which is very very little. 

In this same post, Ale said: Can I use ascorbic acid instead of citric acid?

No, for quite a few reasons. The main one for me would be that ascorbic acid - Vitamin C - is extremely expensive in this application and would offer nothing to your skin while you're sitting in the bath.

As an aside, I've seen people suggesting you use cream of tartar instead of citric acid in a bath bomb. My suggestion is that you don't. Citric acid is inexpensive and gets the job of fizzing and melting away done very nicely. Cream of tartar is expensive and wouldn't do a better job. You could add a little cream of tartar to the bath bomb if you wanted to, but using it as the citric acid in a recipe is costly and unnecessary.

3 comments:

Abby said...

I always thought cream of tartar is used for a longer lasting/more solid bath bomb, because it's more of a powder compared to citric acid.
At least, the citric acid over here comes in granules (a bit like salt or coarse sand).
But I agree to just use citric acid. If you really want, you can grind it to a more powdery substance with a mortar and pestle.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Abby! Our citric acid is in granules, too. I haven't found a need to grind it down, and wonder if you've tried not grinding it down to see if you like it. It seems like an extra step that would drive me nuts, but I'm curious to see what you think.

Have you tried it with the cream of tartar? How did it compare to your normal recipe?

My main concer with the cream of tartar is that it's extremely expensive and doesn't seem to add much to the quality of the bath bombs. But I'm always up for hearing other points of view.

Abby said...

Hi Susan!
My apologies for not replying any sooner...

I only once tried to grind the granules out of curiosity, but I agree that it is in fact a waste of effort. I haven't tried the cream of tartar yet, mostly because it's quite expensive (1kg is about $20 over here) and it's quite hard to get a hold of.

When I do get my hands on some cream of tartar, I'll try to make a batch of regular citric acid bath bombs, cream of tartar ones and maybe some ground citric acid ones to compare how they all do in the bath :)