Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Updates galore!

Sorry for the silence, but this back pain of mine is really getting in the way of my life/ I'm really struggling to do much more than go to work and my youth programs, which means when I have down time, I'm resting in bed with a cuddly dog and a whole lot of muscle relaxants instead of playing in the workshop, researching ingredients, or writing the blog. Yes, I'm under a doctor's care - two, in fact - and I'm following all of their advice.

Thank you so much to everyone who has sent me lovely balms, in particular Kathleen Broughton and Gina of Scentsible Mama! These balms feel absolutely lovely on my skin, and I enjoy the tingle! You have been very kind to me, and I can only repay that kindness by saying thank you publicly on the blog!

Raymond is enjoying Movember! He's growing a moustache - I do really miss his beard! - and he's moving every day for 30 minutes. If you have a few extra bucks and want to support the Movember movement, check out his Movember page! I love that we are bringing awareness of men's health issues to the forefront of our minds for at least one month a year, and I'm happy to support it!

If you're new to this wonderful hobby of cosmetic crafting, please visit the Newbie page to see all the recipes you could try! I've tried to create a section that gives you loads of information and recipes for those of you starting out! There are tons of ideas for things you could make for Christmas, and there are loads of questions that I know you have answered! I encourage you to make that your first stop when you're searching this blog for stuff!

Registration is open for the 2016 Canadian Soap Makers, Chandlers, and Cosmetic Makers' national conference in April 2016 in Niagara Falls, Ontario! I'll be there offering two workshops. One will be on facial products, including an eye gel, toner, and facial cleanser, while the other is a lotion making class that will include a hand & body lotion, body butter, and facial moisturizer. (Note: The site is down for some reason, but I'll link it shortly!)

That's about it for now. It's back to lying in bed with my adorable pup and a gorgeous husband!

6 comments:

Terri Shafer said...

Susan: Sorry to hear about your back pain. As a loyal reader of many years who has dazzled her friends and family with products built from your recipes, I want to offer some knowledge in return. There's an American physiotherapist named Kelly Starrett who is, excuse the play on his name, a rock star in preventing injury and accelerating healing. His advice is followed by professional and amateur sports teams, the military, first responders (police and fire), CrossFit enthusiasts and legions of people with back pain, tendonitis and other issues.

You can find his videos and posts on YouTube, Facebook and his own site (mobilitywod.com). I discovered his work when I was suffering from an intensely painful back injury that made it impossible to sit, stand, drive, or do anything else. I had already gone to a myopractor (similar to a chiropractor) to try to find relief.

I know this sounds hard to believe, but when I did some of the mobility exercises Kelly recommended for back pain, I found instant relief. My pain disappeared, and I was able to move normally. I continue to use his mobility techniques to prevent injury and, two years later, I haven't had a recurrence.

Kelly refers often to weightlifting, sports and CrossFit, since most of his followers are into those things, but his advice works for anybody. Anyway, keep up the great posts. I'm a big fan, and I hope you feel better soon.

Terri

Laura said...

Hang in there Susan...Perhaps some anti-inflammatory supplements like Turmeric Extract (pill form) would help? I really hope you will feel better soon! Laura

MK said...

Rest and follow your doctor's orders Susan!
We all miss you, out here in 'Swift's Fan Land'!
But your health is number 1!
Sending you healing vibes from out east on Long Island, NY!
Merilyn

Tara (not the same T in your blog) said...

I do yoga, lifting weights, and pilates regularly so I understand sore muscles. I eat bananas after an intense leg workout to keep the soreness caused by lactic acid in the muscles away. I make and use a cream with lavender essential oil, and arnica extract. I found it helps to relax my muscles. I hope you feel better soon! I'll keep you in my prayers.

Mavis said...

HI Susan:
So sorry to heat of your back pain. I'm a massage therapist and I specialize in triggerpoint therapy. Please check my facebook page A Nu Fee'N Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork for great information on back pain and there is a great book by Clair Davies called the trigger point therapy workbook. If you have any questions and if I can be of any help just send me a message.
Mavis

online nursing degree program said...

This piece of writing gives clear idea designed for the new viewers of blogging, that actually how to do blogging.
online nursing degree program