Sunday, November 29, 2015

Designing your products as a line: Shampoo - dimethicones

Sorry for the long delay in posts - has it really been three months? Let's resume our discussion about designing products as part of a series. Please check out this posts below to read from the start about shampoo!

Shampoo - How does it work?
Shampoo - What's in it? Surfactants
Shampoo - What's in it? Other ingredients
Shampoo - Increasing mildness & viscosity
Shampoo - Conditioning agents

Silicones like dimethicone or amodimethicone can be used in your shampoo at a low level - up to 2% - to increase conditioning. You don't need to use a solubilizer or emulsifier as the surfactants will help keep it in the mix, which is a great thing!

As an aside, amodimethicone can cause more build up than dimethicone. I encourage you to take a look at this post, if that interests you. 

When I'm making something for my husband and know he might not use conditioner afterwards, I always include dimethicone in his shampoo as I want the maximum conditioning and shine I can get out of that product. When I'm making something for myself and I know I'll be using silicones in my conditioner, I don't. It's not that I worry it'll build up - my experience is such that in the past nine years of making things, my hair has never felt weighed down because of products - it's just I don't want to use something if it's pointless.

Dimethicone doesn't increase the mildness in the product or offer thickening, so there's no reason to include it for those reasons. It's purely for the conditioning feeling it leaves behind, so if you're using a conditioner after washing, feel free to leave it out.

Join me tomorrow to take a look at using proteins in our shampoo!

2 comments:

Victoria Chukwujekwu said...

Thank you Susan for all your hard work. Even when I dont write a comment I do read through all your email newsletters and I appreciate them. They are quite informational. Big THANK YOU from Africa.

Warm regards,
Victoria

Kneeley said...

Hi Susan! It's been a while! I haven't been on the blog for a couple of months due to life and all, but it's great to see all these posts on product lines!! :D

I just wanted to ask a quick question if you have the time?

I have been reading up on silicones lately, and I saw something that was rather interesting. Apparently cationic surfactants like our lovely BTMS can help silicones bind to the hair better due to their positive charge. But this apparently can also make removal much more difficult. I'm now left wondering how this would affect our hair over a long period as I have seen from various sources that Dimethicone can only be removed by sls, sles, coco-betaine, als or ales. But then I have seen another source that says any anionic surfactant will do.

I have yet to use silicones but I am wanting to try them out in a conditioner. I'm hoping that you might have some info on if surfactant combos such as sci and cocobetaine will be enough to remove dimethicone. I know that I can also use cet chloride, but sadly one of my suppliers has shut down and I cannot find it anywhere in the UK right now.

Thanks for any insight. Also, I hope your back is ok, I didn't realise you had been so ill!! I hope you heal quickly! *hug*

Kneeley x