Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Quick question: How do I convert your recipes into weighted measurements?


I'm leaving for the Canadian Soapers' Conference in Banff tomorrow! I'll be posting pictures and stories here every day. If you're there, let me know if you want to meet up for conversation and maybe some karaoke? 

I'm so excited, but a little stressed out about travelling by plane. Seems like there are so many charges and rules. I wish I could just drive there! I'm in the mood for a road trip! 

When you read a recipe on this blog, it's almost always in percentages. How do we convert those percentages to something we can use? If you convert the % sign to the word grams, you will create a recipe that totals 100 grams. If you want the recipe to be larger than 100 grams - about 3.3 ounces by weight - convert the % sign to the word grams, then multiply by 2 for 200 grams (6.6 ounces), 3 for 300 grams (10 ounces), and so on. 

More detailed posts on this topic and examples...




2 comments:

Bunny said...

So I work in a chemistry lab where we use percentages/weight for everything, and make these giant spreadsheets to request things to get made. I have a much more simple version I made for myself... you plug in how much you want to make total, names of ingredients/how concentrated they are/how much you want in final product on separate lines... that spits out everything in grams and how much remaining should be water. Would you like this to share with your readers?

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Bunny! I think this would be awesome! You can reach me at sjbarclay@telus.net
As an aside, your job sounds awesome!!!