Tuesday, October 27, 2015

One of us! One of us!

Welcome to all you seekers of knowledge on all things bath & body related! It's awesome that you're eager to make customized and lovely things for your skin and hair! Have I warned you this is the most addictive hobby you'll try? 



May I direct you to the newbie section of the blog where you'll find all the things you'll need to start on this journey! (http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.ca/p/newbie-links.html) What the heck are the water and oil phases? How do I make a body butter? Do I need to add a preservative to this product? All of these questions and more are answered here. You'll also find starter recipes for a variety of products, from anhydrous lotion bars and balms to sugar scrubs and lotions. 

I'll warn you again - this is an addictive hobby. You'll find yourself reading ingredient lists in every drug store and make-up shop as you get to know what each thing brings to the mix. You'll start ranting about claims made on commercial products. You'll dream about the differences between mango and Shea butter. And you'll love every minute of it! (One of us! One of us!) 


11 comments:

Ashlynn Kaplan said...

Oh I love your blog! I have been crafting makeup for one year now and I just started with eyeshadows. Yes! It is so addicting! I started with foundation, blush and bronzer and now I am moving into eyeshadows, highlights, and hopefully cream/liquid products in the future! I feel like eyeshadows are a little more complicated but maybe that is because I am new to them. I really love the depth and detail of your blog, thank you!

Megan Johnson said...

"I'll warn you again - this is an addictive hobby."

No truer words were ever typed. I started with lotion bars last holiday season, and then, and then, and then…(Hopefully I can use all the stuff I've purchased before it goes off, with the exception of borage seed oil because it's smelly.)

I strongly recommend buying Susan's Lotion-Making 101 e-book if you haven't already!

akoh said...

I have a recent discoverer of your blog and new to DIY--and am completely ONE OF US! Thank you so much for your generosity in sharing all your knowledge! <3 - Adeline (P.S. I bought your Formulating Facial Products ebook a while ago, that got me started on this :) )

hely fely said...

Nice article! The longer I read your post, the more I’ll be in love with this source. www.wrinkleremovercreams.com

Danuta Kildan said...

I am following your blog for two years, Susan, you are my Guru. My skin problems gone, :)) thank you for your sharing and teaching us. The true is; you got me addicted to it:)) The nicest addiction ever :)

Baby Kat said...

Since I discovered your blog, it is my first resource to research and learn about making my own products. I started with e.o.s, the basic stuff. But now I am on my second generation, making hair conditioner and skin care products, and I am loving it! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience, I truly appreciate it.

Mark Lee said...

Excellent post and wonderful blog, I really like this type of interesting articles keep it you.

Anonymous said...

I have definitely been converted! Greatest resource for all levels of crafters!
Jen

Anonymous said...

A question regarding cleansers: my typically lazy teenage daughters prefer cleansing their faces with a 'micellar water' instead of a foaming wash. It's not my favourite, but I'm quite realistic about how much I can influence their behaviour ;-). I've been experimenting with different recipes to create a micellar water myself. But I would like to get some guidance on the best ingredients to add that can offer a mild cleansing action without the need for rinsing. The recipes I've developed were based on your toner recipes in which I substituted a tiny part of the water phase with a soft surfactant (e.g 4% betaine) or a emollient/surfactant PEG-6-Caprylic/Capric Glyceride.

Could you think about other ingredients to use as a cleansing agent in this type of product?


Thanks in advance,

Barbie from Brussels in Belgium

John Adam said...

Thanks for always being the source that explains things instead of just putting an unjustified answer out there. I loved this post.
Club Mart

Jhon Marshal said...

This is really great news. Thank you for sharing it with us!
Snapchat makeup tutorials