Monday, August 17, 2015

Weekday Wonderings: Is this ingredient oil free?

In this post on olive oil unsaponifiables, Kim asks: Would olive oil unsaponifiables be ok for oily skin versus other oils or be considered oil free?

Technically, olive oil unsaponifiables would be considered oil free because it isn't an oil. (I've seen someone claim that a lotion with shea butter was "oil free" because shea is a butter, not an oil, but that seems like a stretch.)

Is it okay for oily skin? I don't know the answer to that question because everyone's skin is different and everyone will react differently. The only way to know that an ingredient is right for you is to try it and keep a record.

Please note that if an ingredient is causing pimples, it won't happen overnight. It can take up to a week for a pimple to erupt from the skin, so if you use something today and you've broken out tomorrow, it likely isn't the ingredient's fault. You were brewing up something under your skin and it's simply a coincidence! You may break out with something if you're having an allergic reaction, but that isn't the same as a full blown pimple!

Related posts:
Only you know what your skin can handle
A couple of notes on breakouts, acne, and comedogenicity

6 comments:

Sânziene şi Mătrăgună said...

Oily skin loves oils rich in linoleic or linolenic acids and with little oleic acid.

Olive oil unsaponifiables in pure form may still feel oily.

Marmar said...

Hey I hope you are doing fine :)

can you please post about formulating with cold emulsifiers . I bought ICE blend from making cosmetics and would like to read more about them.

Marmar

Francis said...

Hi Susan! First of all, I'd like to say SUPER THANK YOU for your wonderful effort of putting up this jam packed blog! It's so helpful for me, especially I'm so interested in making my own skin care for myself.. that works :)

Anyway, I'm currently about to create my own Body Butter, and I've read through your blog the importance of Heating and Holding both the water and the oil phase to 70c using either a double boiler or a fondue pot.. I however, for some reason have unearthed my dad's relatively new "Magnetic Stirring Hot Plate" with a digital temperature control... Can I use that to heat up my water and oil phase with 70c in the temperature screen? or no? Cause I also remember reading from your blog never to put the oil and water phase directly touching a heat source. :) Kindly help me.. :)

Again, many thanks Susan and more power to your blog. :)

adinda putri said...

Hi there!

How about refined oil? is the any benefit for acne skin? maybe better than unrefined oil?
I heard that refined oil has less nutrient than unrifined oil. Is it possible that nutrient that contain in oil can be a trigger for pimples, so that when the oil has less nutrient it can make more friendly to acne skin?

Thankyou

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Adinda. There is no difference between refined oils and unrefined oils on your oily skin. I wouldn't use either of them as most oils will make oily skin worse and can lead to break outs. As someone with oily skin, I suggest using other ways to moisturize your skin, like using humectants like glycerin or film formers like aloe or protein.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Francis! Woo! That is one awesome piece of equipment. You could use it for the water phase as long as you maintain the temperature at a decent level. I wouldn't use it for the oils. Wow! I'd love to have one of those!