Tuesday, August 4, 2015

These are a few of my favourite things: Dimethicone in hair care products

Dimethicone is a great addition in any hair care product as it offers conditioning, film forming, and de-frizzing. It increases hair's softness and shine. You can use it in shampoo, conditioner, leave-in conditioner, cream rinse, or anti-frizz sprays.

The easiest recipe I make is this one for an anti-frizz spray.

ANTI-FRIZZ SPRAY
90% cyclomethicone
10% dimethicone

Weigh each ingredient into a spray bottle. Close lid. Shake. Use. Rejoice.

See, so easy!

I love to include dimethicone into my hair conditioner because it increases the shine and decreases my frizz! This specific conditioner recipe contains coconut oil for moisturization, glycerin for hydration, and cetyl alcohol as an oil free emollient. If you want to increase the detangling abilities of this conditioner, add up to 2% cetrimonium chloride into the heated oil phase and remove 2% water from the water phase to compensate.

ALOE & CHAMOMILE CONDITIONER FOR DRY HAIR
HEATED WATER PHASE
61.5% water
10% aloe vera
2% hydrolyzed protein of choice
3% glycerin

HEATED OIL PHASE
7% BTMS
3.5% cetyl alcohol
5% coconut oil

COOL DOWN PHASE
1% fragrance or essential oil blend
0.5% liquid Germall Plus
0.5% powdered chamomile extract
2% cyclomethicone
2% dimethicone
2% panthenol

Please use the general conditioner making instructions for this recipe!

Want to know why I'm using what I'm using in this recipe? Check out the posts on conditioner in the hair care section of the blog, starting with what is a conditioner and working your way forward by hitting "newer post" at the bottom of the page! 

Feel free to add up to 5% dimethicone in any conditioner to increase the amount of shine in your hair or to help with frizziness. If you do this, remember that when we increase one ingredient, we have to decrease the water phase to keep the recipe totalling 100%. So if you like a recipe that doesn't contain dimethicone, feel free to add it and remove the same percentage from your distilled water!

Related recipes:
Hair care section of the blog - scroll down for more conditioner recipes

Join me tomorrow for a few more dimethicone recipes!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I add more dimethicone I would decrease the water? I had thought since it was an oil based ingredient I would have to adjust the emulsifier. Is this wrong?
Kerri

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan,

It was such a bless to find your blog. I have a question and hope you dont mind answering.

My mixture just can't get the texture quite right. It turned out to be so watery (as in appearance) but too oily when applied.

I used argain oil and coconut oil, dimethicone (>50%) and IPM. Used two types of fragrance to hide the coconut's smell.

Should my mixture go through the heating phase?

Thanks,

Rania

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Kerri. When we increase an oil soluble ingredient, we must remove something to compensate, so we still remove that percentage from the water phase. As well, we have to increase the emulsifier.

Hi Rania. I have no idea what your recipe might be, so I can't offer any help. As I ask on every page of this blog...If you are writing to me for help on a recipe, please include your recipe in percentages and creation process. If you don't share this information, I can't provide help. I don't have time to do the back-and-forth thing asking you for information I need to help you, so include everything and be as specific as necessary.