Saturday, August 15, 2015

A quick note for those of you seeking cetrimonium bromide

Back by popular demand, the Personal Formulator (US) is selling cetrimonium bromide again! I'm putting in an order as I really want to play with this ingredient much much more!

Please note, I am not affiliated in any way with the Personal Formulator - other than as a paying customer - so I provide this information to you as a public service, not as a way to make money! 


Loved said...

I would like to try making a detangling conditioner for my kinky curly dry hair...Which one would be more beneficial ...centrimonium bromide or centrimonium chloride?

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Cetrimonium chloride is meant as a light conditioner and detangler. The cetrimonium bromide is meant as the main conditioning agent. I can't tell you what will work best for your hair, but if you are looking for a good conditioning agent, then you'll want to use the bromide.

Matt said...

Hi Susan,

On the topic of quaternary ammonium salts, I've noticed many of your leave-in conditioner formulas contain 2% cetrimonium chloride. I purchased my centrimonium choloride from Lotioncrafter® and their recommended usage rate for leave-on products is 0.25% as per the safety guidelines recommended by the (CIR)Expert Panel. The Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (European Union) has a more thorough report that seems to indicate safety up to 1% in leave-on products SCCS Report. I would like to make a leave-in conditioner but I'm confused about the amount of Cetac to use. Any suggestions?

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

I'm using 30% active cetrimonium chloride at 2% in my leave in conditioners, and I haven't experienced any issues or had anyone report issues to me in the last six years. This is only anecdotal, I realize.

As per the linked documents, cetrimonium chloride starts irritating skin at around 25%, which is much much higher than the 2% I'm using in my products. They also note that cetrimonium chloride is not considered a skin sensitizer, then go on to note that at 3.52% amount when occluded for 24 hours could cause slight to moderate skin irritation and at 2.5% produced some irritation under occlusion for an hour, but that similar amounts did nothing when not occluded. (Since we aren't occluiding our scalps when this is applied, I'm not sure if this is a concern.) They go on to do tests with conditioner, and at higher levels, there isn't any irritation.

As per these documents, I have no hesitation in recommending use up to 2% in a leave in conditioner. But you have to make your own decisions!