Saturday, July 4, 2015

Weekend Wonderings: Where can I find supplies? Why add a humectant in the summer?

In this post, Six ingredient lotions: Rice bran & mango butter body lotion, WEND asks: Where can I buy allantoin? I never heard of it before but then again I'm new to lotion making. 

You can find more information on suppliers in your part of the world in the FAQ section under "shopping for supplies". I get mine from Voyageur Soap & Candle in Surrey, B.C., but you can find it at loads of places!

In this post, Making a lotion for my mom, Marg asked: Can you explain why you would increase the humectant (glycerin) in a summer lotion especially in humid climates? I thought you would increase in the dry, winter months, so now I'm confused!

I increase the humectants for both the summer and the winter months around here. I tend to get really dry skin in the summer because it's hot and the transepidermal water loss in our skin increases. I add a humectant to draw water from the atmosphere to my skin to make it feel cooler and to replace that water I'm losing. Where I live, it's humid in the summer, so adding a humectant makes sense.

In the winter, we tend to have a little less water in the air, but not by a lot, so I continue to use humectants to try to get what water I can from the air to my skin.

This is an important consideration when making products - where do you live? We'll be delving into that a little more over the summer.

In this post Six ingredient lotion with Ritamulse SCG, Megan asks, Also, have you noticed that Kukui nut oil has a bit of a weird fishy smell to it? Maybe that's why mine was on sale? I notice the smell directly out of the bottle, though it seems to dissipate after applying it to skin. It has a smell similar to linseed, which can sometimes be funky, too. (I also paint, thus my familiarity with linseed odors.)

I haven't noticed it. What about you, my lovely readers? 


Birgitte said...

I completely omit any glycerin in my skincare. Since I live in the desert, it just increases transepidermal water loss and I end up with a layer of water on my skin instead.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Birgitte! I addressed this issue in this post - Does glycerin draw water from your skin when the humidity is low? - and the answer appears to be that if you couple it with an occlusive ingredient like allantoin, cocoa butter, dimethicone, or other butters and oils, it will not pull water from your skin in low humidity environments. In fact, there are loads of reasons to use glycerin, such as reducing irritancy of our products and preventing the formation of crystals in low humidity.

I love glycerin in my products, but I understand if you don't want to use it!

Cgrl said...

Besides moisture, glycerin loves to attract dirt and oils and make 'em stick. Can be a negative ingredient from the user standpoint (not the makers) – particularly in certain areas (definitely avoid if you live in a dusty zone). Makes my skin tacky and grimy after a day out and that's in a tropical / humid environment. If someone has sensitive skin this might equate as an irritant. Regarding the kukui nut oil, living Hawai'i we know it's an amazing oil. But it oxidizes/ goes rancid VERY quickly. If it's fresh it typically smells nice. A bad smell usually means it's already turned. Unless you are sourcing directly from the maker and getting it immediately after it's been processed/bottled I'd avoid it. Though usually producers give it a one year shelf life; must store in a cool, dry place and honestly once you open the bottle I'd try to use it very quickly. Just a few thots… thanks!