Thursday, July 9, 2015

Modifying the six ingredient evening primrose, oat & chamomile body butter - oil phase and recipe

Continued from yesterday...

If I want this to be a bit thicker, I could add some cetyl alcohol. It'll increase the glide and slip as well as thickening it. I think I'll use 3% in the heated oil phase. This means I need to increase my emulsifier and reduce the water by the re-calculated amount.

And I think I want some dimethicone in here as another occlusive that will reduce the whitening effect. (You know, that white soapy look you get with some lotions. Learn more about it here!) I'll add it at 2% into the cool down phase. Again, I'll have to reduce my water amount and up my emulsifier.

Iff we're using Polawax, we'll need to add 1.25% more to accomodate 5% more oil. (Polawax is used at 25% of the oil amount. 5% x 0.25 = 1.25%). I'll add that to the heated oil amount, and remove 6.25% from the water amount.

Please note, you cannot use Ritamulse SCG with this recipe as we have over 25% oils. It will fail. Trust me on this!

EVENING PRIMROSE, OAT, COCOA BUTTER & CHAMOMILE BODY BUTTER
HEATED WATER PHASE
51% water
3% glycerin
2% hydrolyzed protein
2.5% sodium lactate
0.5% allantoin

HEATED OIL PHASE
10% evening primrose oil
14% cocoa butter
3% cetyl alcohol
7.25% Polawax

COOL DOWN PHASE
2% dimethicone
0.5% liquid Germall Plus
1% fragrance or essential oil blend
0.5% powdered chamomile extract

There's the recipe! We've increased our occlusives - heck, we're using all three approved occlusives in this recipe - and we've added another humectant. There really is no limit as to how you could modify this recipe to include ingredients you have at home. 

Join me tomorrow as we play a bit more with the six ingredient lotion idea when we make a moisturizer for men! 

No comments: