Monday, June 1, 2015

The weather is getting warmer! A few notes...

It's getting warm in the Fraser Valley: We had temperatures of up to 29˚C last week, which is far too warm for me, and it's still only spring! When we get into the summer months, it's time to think about a few things...

Get your oils and butters into a cool, dark place. Sun and heat can speed up oxidation and rancidity of our lovely emollients, so get them into a dark place or into the fridge or freezer. Yes, you can freeze your oils with no problems!

Coconut oil and babassu oil melt around 24˚C/76˚F, so get them into the fridge or freezer over the warmer months. I'll never forget the time I went into my oils and butters box only to find a layer of oil in which everything was covered!

Using stearic acid as a thickener in your lotions can make them feel slightly colder. You can also use peppermint essential oil or menthol for that reason, too.

Blast from the past: Sunscreens
Please visit this post if you want to learn more about sunscreens and why we don't make them at home!

I think it's time to have a lie down in the cold room for a while and decompress after a morning in the workshop! It's really hot in there!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I have a question for you, I can't seem to find any information about this issue! Everywhere I look online says that mango butter is less oily than shea and has a higher melting point, however in my experience (i've tried 2 different mango butters from different suppliers - one refined and one unrefined) I find that both mango butters melt/reduce to oil on the skin much faster than my unrefined shea butter! Also, when I increased the amount of mango butter in my body butter, it gave the finished product an oilier sheen to it. Do you have any thoughts on why this would be? I'm at a loss!

Thank you!
-Lila

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Lila. I don't know. What kind of shea butter are you using? Refined, ultra refined, less refined? I know the melting point of shea can change with the amount of refinement.

Ani said...

Thanks for the emlusifier refresher! It was very timely for me. I need to branch out, as I've only been using BTMS 50 and ewax nf for years.

Ani said...

Oops, wrong post!