Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Six ingredient lotions: Rice bran & mango butter body butter

Yesterday we took a look at a six ingredient lotion with rice bran oil and mango butter. Today we'll take a look at another six ingredient recipe we could make using the basic lotion recipe.

BASIC LOTION RECIPE
HEATED WATER PHASE
68.5% water

HEATED OIL PHASE
24% oil
6% emulsifier (BTMS or Polawax)

COOL DOWN PHASE
1% fragrance or essential oil
0.5% liquid Germall Plus

I mentioned yesterday that the amount of thickener you choose can change the viscosity of this lotion. So if you want to use 20% butter, you'll get a thicker product than something with 10%. I thought it would be fun to make a body butter using the same ingredients I used yesterday.

I'm choosing rice bran oil and mango butter again, but I'll use them in different proportions. Yesterday, I used 15% rice bran oil and 6% mango butter. Today, I'll use 15% mango butter with 6% rice bran oil. Combined with 3% cetyl alcohol, this will be a thicker product more akin to a body butter than a lotion. If I use an emulsifier like Lotionpro 165, this will be a light and fluffy body butter. If I use Polawax, it'll be a thicker and slightly greasier product. If I use Incroquat BTMS-50, it'll be a thicker and less greasy product. If I use Ritamulse SCG, it'll be a thicker and less greasy product. I think I'll go with Polawax in this lotion as I like the skin feel it offers. (If you want to use e-wax in this recipe, add 1% to the emulsifier.)

I will go with 3% glycerin again because I love to include humectants and I think I'll use the 0.5% allantoin again.

My big changes are to switch the amounts of oil and butter here. What will that recipe look like?

RICE BRAN & MANGO BUTTER BODY BUTTER 
HEATED WATER PHASE
65% water
3% glycerin
0.5% allantoin

HEATED OIL PHASE
15% mango butter
6% rice bran oil
6% emulsifier (BTMS or Polawax)
3% cetyl alcohol

COOL DOWN PHASE
1% fragrance or essential oil
0.5% liquid Germall Plus

Please use the general lotion making directions for this product.

Join me tomorrow as we make another six ingredient lotion!

2 comments:

Theresa Willey said...

Oooooooh I just love this! It's on my weekend to-do (or rather "to-make") list! I just can't get enough of anything mango-my favorite snack of all time and also favorite formulating ingredient and scent. It screams "summer" and brings back memories of eating mangoes on the porch as a teensy child with my beloved grandmother. Good stuff.

Hey Susan-Since I seem to have random questions to throw at you when I pop by, here's another to keep to tradition, if you want to engage......I stumbled upon a cosmetic thing and can't quite get an answer, just product listings when I research triple emulsions. What the heck is up with that? What is a triple emulsion? Does it actually benefit a product or is it just fancy pants stuff to make products sound magical? Thanks again for the new recipes, I love the combos you come up with!

MicheleJ said...

This is my go-to recipe for all my lotions and body butters. I love this combo, but I do tweak it a bit by adding 2% IPM because I prefer a less greasy feel. I also adjust the water amount depending on whether I'm making a lotion or a body butter. Thanks for this fantastic recipe!