Sunday, May 3, 2015

Weekend Wonderings: Using the FAQ and newbies' section to get information. Is polysorbate 20 less sticky than polysorbate 80? How should polysorbate 80 smell?

Just a quick reminder that the FAQ and the Newbies' section of the blog contain a lot of information that might interest you. I would say that fully half of the questions I see in e-mail and comments could be easily answered with a quick trip to the FAQ. I don't get a lot of time to answer comments or messages during the week, so rather than waiting until the weekend to get a response, taking a trip to either of those sections will get you an answer quicker than waiting for me! As well, if you're interested in a topic - say, making shampoo - checking out the section about that topic - like hair care - will likely give you loads of information! Also, consider doing a search. The search function on this blog is fantastic - thanks, Google! - and you will find a wealth of information that might even overwhelm you!

From this post, Polysorbate 20 vs polysorbate 80, Lucy asks: I've recently made a water based spray with fragrance oil at 1% and poly 80 at equal amounts. It's sticky. My ingredients are just those three. I know i need to use poly 20 but it's just not available in my country. You think the poly 80 is the culprit? Would poly 20 remove stickyness? 

No, polysorbate 20 and polysorbate 80 are both sticky. They are derived from sugar. I found that caprylyl/capryl glucoside is also sticky. I found that Caprol Micro Express and PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil are the only non-sticky solubilizers I've found.

As a quick question, what preservative are you using? One is necessary in this product! Whenever we have water, we must use a preservative. (Related post: When should you use a preservative?)

Related posts:
Making a fragrance spray with caprylyl/capryl glucoside
Water based fragrance spray
Oil based fragrance sprays and solid perfume
Men's products: Scented body sprays

In this post, Esters: Using polysorbates in your products, Ursula asks: I have a quick questiopn about polysorbate 80, what should it smell like? I have just received some and tried to make a bath oil with it, in the container it smeels like neatsfoot oil (that you use on leather and horse tack) and even at 4% fragrance oil I can still smell it in the bath oil, Is this a normal smell for it or is there something wrong with my polysorbate?

I asked my family to smell my bottle of polysorbate 80 and they described it as sweet or slightly sugary. I have no idea what neatsfoot oil smells like, so I looked it up, and the general theme was "icky" or "unpleasant", so I think there's something wrong with either your sense of smell or the polysorbate. (I'm going to guess it's the polysorbate 80...)

Join me tomorrow for more fun formulating!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan! Thank you for answering my question, will try hydrogenated castor oil. I forgot to mention i use liquid germall plus as my preservative. 😀 - lucy