Sunday, May 17, 2015

Take care of your feet...and a few reminders

I wanted to remind you to check out the products great for foot care! I was at a conference on Friday, and I was shocked to see the state of some of the feet in sandals out there! Holy cow! I thought my slightly dry feet were in bad shape? I encourage you to make these products for your friends and family and hand them out liberally! They will thank you for it!

Related posts:
Formulating with soy bean oil: Making a foot cream (part one)
Formulating with soy bean oil: Making a foot cream (part two)
Body lotion becomes foot lotion
Foot lotion becomes foot cream
Body butter becomes foot cream
Formulating with oils: Lotion bars for very dry feet
Emulsifiers: Thicker lotions with Ritamulse SCG
Foot cream with menthol and eucalyptus
Foot cream with dimethicone

A little blast from the past for you - how can I tell if it's a good recipe? I'm being visited by a lot of people who are asking me to help them fix recipes from other blogs that are done in volume. You can't do a recipe in volume! It's horribly inaccurate! Is the beeswax melted before or after measuring? Do you melt the cocoa butter, then measure it? As well, it makes a mess of loads of spoons and cups. Measuring by digital scale means you measure right into one container for easy clean up.

Secondly, if you get a recipe from blog x and it doesn't work, please contact the writer of blog x and complain about it. If someone posts a recipe, it's up to them to make sure it really works. I really don't have the time, energy, or inclination to try to fix a recipe that isn't mine. If it's my recipe, please contact me either in a comment or through email and I'll do what I can to get it working. You must include the complete recipe you followed in percentages and your exact process. Please don't send me the recipe I wrote from the blog and claim you followed every ingredient exactly unless you really did follow every ingredient exactly. I need to know the process you followed so I can see what went wrong!

Let me clarify this...If you have created a recipe yourself, I'm happy to help you troubleshoot it. If you have a recipe from Happy Mommies Blog and it doesn't work, please contact that blog, not me about it. I'm always happy to help you figure out how to make your own recipes. That's what this blog is about! 

Thirdly, heating and holding your lotions is not an option, it is essential. When someone writes to me to tell me about a failed lotion, at least half the time it's because they didn't heat and hold. (The other almost half is thanks to inadequate levels of emulsifier or no emulsifier, like using beeswax.) I can't stress enough how much the heat and hold process contributes to the success of your emulsification. If you heat it until melting in the microwave, the odds are stacked against making that emulsification work for any significant length of time! Why not reduce the odds and make a great lotion by heating and holding for 20 minutes and creating something lovely?

I can't stress enough how much you want to read the FAQ when you are feeling stumped by something. I would say that at least 60% of the questions you pose in your email message or comments would be answered quickly with a trip to the FAQ. I'm trying to keep up with questions, comments, and messages, but it's getting harder with the increased number of visitors to the blog, and I hate to keep you waiting a week before getting an answer.

I think that's it for today. Hope you're enjoying Sunday in your part of the world! I'm spending today with my friends eating smoked ribs my husband is currently outside making!


Anonymous said...

Hello Susan,
Curiosity, does big companies heat and hold too? Do they use a double boiler as well?
I hope you get well soon, thank you for teaching us.

Rose said...

Hi Susan
Looked under the newbie section but could not find how to sanitize your equipment. I do not have a dishwasher.
So if you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Sandra said...

Hi Susan!

I don't know if this is the appropriate post under which to ask you my question, but I was wondering if it was acceptable to freeze lip balm flavours? I've seen you mention that we can freeze oils a while ago, and lip balm flavours are oil soluble as they're meant for lip balms. Also, should I assume that distillates/hydrosols can be frozen? My supplier's INCI for their hydrosols doesn't include a preservative or anything so I'd feel safer if it was frozen. Also, what about solubilizers?
I apologize if you've answered this question before but I didn't find it in the FAQ.

H Bailey said...

Hello, I have been making soap for over 15 years and just found your blog today. Wow, I love getting into all of the science and why of what I make - thank you for sharing all of this! I can't wait to read more. I do have one question that I didn't happen to see covered in the FAQ. I have access to cyanocobalamin, USP Grade (vitamin b12 in powdered form). I have seen commercial shampoos that contain vitamin b12 - is it possible to add this to my shampoo recipe as well? Any suggestions of how I would do that? Thanks in advance, Heather

Cynthia Scott said...

Just wanted to say congrats on being invited to such an exclusive event!! Only 130 people!! Wow! That's awesome! Good for you!!