Saturday, April 25, 2015

Weekend Wonderings: How to heat proof a whipped butter?

It's been a weird week! I've been sick for most of the week with some kind of stomach/digestive ailment, which has left me in bed feeling very grumpy. Today is Rated T for Teen video game club with the kids, then tonight we're going to see Nightwish in Vancouver, and we'll stay in town until Monday. I hope I'm feeling well enough to enjoy myself! As a result, I won't be getting to all your e-mails and comments as I usually do on Saturday, but I'll try during the next week to carve out some time to answer what I can! (Next Saturday, I'm teaching the Back to Basics class at Voyageur Soap & Candle, so I'll have to wait until Sunday for more writing time!)

In this post, Newbie Tuesday: Creating whipped butters, Christine asks: I'm trying to formulate a body butter that won't melt in the summer heat during delivery. I saw your whipped body butter made mostly with soy butter and wondered how that would withstand the heat. (I live in steamy GA.)

It won't. Soy butter is a butter made of soy bean oil and hydrogenated vegetable oil, so it'll have a lower melting point than something like mango butter or cocoa butter. If you want to try to make something more heat resistant, look at those butters or other butters, like sal or kokum, that have higher melting temperature. For the love of all that is good and holy, don't use coconut oil as it has a very low melting point around 24˚C (76˚F). You can consider adding something like beeswax or cera bellina, but that will change the consistency and skin feel of the product.

If you wanted to make your own butter, you would use something like Lipidthix, which is a powder you can add to your oils to make them solid. Check out the posts below to see how you might do this! 

If you have a suggestion for heat proofing a whipped butter, please share your thoughts! I've heard many people say they just don't sell or ship whipped butter in the warmer months...

Related posts:
Why did I buy that again? Lipidthix
Lipidthix: Making a butter
Lipidthix: Using 25% to make a butter
More about Lipidthix and re-heating products
Pumpkin seed oil: Making pumpkin seed oil butter

4 comments:

Maria said...

I think shea butter as the base holds up better than just about any other butter (Have not tried mango butter--it's a lot more expensive.)

Tammy said...

Speaking of heat -- spring has come early to Western Canada and I'm wondering if you have any recipes for an anti-chafing product like Bodyglide. I've been toying with the idea of trying a lotion bar type of product and maybe adding something like dimethicone. Would it be possible to add allantoin? I have a young man in my home who is suffering on the construction site now that the weather is warming up! Thanks :)

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Tammy! You aren't kidding! It's supposed to be 21˚C in Abbotsford and Chilliwack today! I'm working on an anti-chafing recipe. It seems that they are designed like deodorants, with sodium or magnesium stearate. If you're interested, check out the posts I've written on deodorant. I hope to have a recipe up shortly.

Madeaj said...

I got some double walled jars that seemed to protect my butters from the heat very well. Of course I haven't tried leaving one in the sun but they don't melt or get soft like the ones in my single walled containers under normal conditions. I shipped to my cousin and a friend in the summer. The butters arrived with no melting.