Sunday, January 18, 2015

Please do not ask me to duplicate products for you!

Wow, you've all been very active on the blog this week! I had a seriously busy day yesterday - Raymond and I played our recital and it was awesome! - and I have a busy day today, too, so I only have time for this adminstrative post....

I need to make this abundantly clear - I do not offer my help in duplicating commercial products. I'm not sure how much more clear I have to be about this, but I guess there's still some room for doubt? Please do not ask me to duplicate a product for you. Please don't send me an ingredient list and ask me to help you make your own version. Please don't send me a picture of a bottle in your bathroom and ask me to help you create something similar. Please don't send me a link to an Etsy site and ask me to make a similar product to that one. Please do not ask me to duplicate a product for you.

I stopped duplicating products for three reasons.  The first is a simple one - I hope I have given you enough information to create your own products through the almost 2500 posts on this blog. My goal is to teach you what each ingredient brings to the party and how to use them, and when you know that, you can try to make your own product.

The second one is that it takes a lot of time, far more time than I have. What you're asking me to do is spend a lot of time to custom make a product for you based on nothing more than an ingredient list. I simply don't have time to do that.

The third and most important reason, though, is that I hate doing it. When I was offering duplicating help in the past, I started to hate the blog. I hated opening my e-mail, and I hated reading the comments. It wasn't fun for me, and I've always said that when it stops being fun, I'll shut it all down. I got very close to doing that four years ago, and I have been so much happier not duplicating products.

Please understand that asking me to do this after I have made it abundantly clear that I don't want to offer my help is showing me that you can't take no for an answer. Please recognize that if you think it's no big deal just to ask me this once that there are dozens of other people thinking the same thing, which results in quite a few of these requests a week. Please don't make me the bad guy beause I have to say no to your very simple request that'll only take a few minutes because I've made it very very clear that I don't want you to ask in the first place.

This does not mean I don't want to see your recipes. (In fact, I'm asking you not to ask me about duplicated recipes so I have more time to spend on your questions and recipe tweaks!) If you've come up with a recipe or tweaked one from the blog, that's an original recipe and I'm happy to offer what I can. What I'm talking about is asking me to duplicate a commercial product based on an ingredient list from the 'net or a container.

Join me tomorrow as we have some fun formulating a setting lotion!

17 comments:

B. said...

Just in case, here's how to duplicate yourself http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2013/09/duplicating-products-my-process.html
Keep up the good work!
Birgit

robyn m said...

Hi again. I have this gelled body oil and I'm wondering if it would be ok to use in my hair. The ingredients are: water, glycerin, dipropylene glycol, cyclopentasiloxane, cyclomethicone, dimethicone, sodium chloride, jojoba oil, amaranth extract, vitamin e and a, shea butter, fragrance and imidazolidinyl urea.
based off what I've learned from you, the greatest teacher ever, this seems like it could work with my conditioner to add more moisture and a bit of frizz control. What do you think? Oh, I'm black and indian with dry curly hair if that helps.

robyn m said...

Also how do I subscibe to comments? For the life of me I can't figure it out. I usually just bookmark the page and check back later. Don't laugh!!

Me said...

I'm with you Robyn. That would be a HUGE help and I can't figure out how either :(

Erin

Me said...

Susan,
People have to understand that this has to be as enjoyable for you as it is for us. Actually, more so. The LAST thing your appreciative readers want is for you to start dreading reading our questions and comments.
Is it worth maybe putting a static info block somewhere about not asking for duplicating?
Point of Interest shouldn't be all about us. I understand your frustration and want you to know that your blog is invaluable and inspiring!

Erin

Michelle Squyars said...

I feel part of the problem is that there are those that do not want to do the work themselves. I have seen that on other blogs and social media. That also means that some of these people are not actually reading the blog, just posting questions without taking the time to read the posts about not formulating dupes.
You do an awesome job with this blog, and would hate to see you stop!
And to those that wish to subscribe, Susan has a link in the right side column about half way down where you can put in your email address. Hope that helps.

Debs said...

Hi Susan,

Just wanted to say that I love your blog! It's been a wealth of knowledge for me with information on almost anything I do a search on. Please don't shut it down!

Kelly429 said...

I am new to blog and just purchased ebook yesterday. And it's great, it's the face book. And I haven't made one product yet. So please keep blog going! There really is so much awesome information on here and I'm going to need it! As soon as I get everything I need to get started. No local stores around me that sell specialized ingredients so I have to buy online and wait for it to get to my door! But I am so excited to start this journey it's going to be so fun to make my very own awesome anti aging products, I'm 34. And I hate paying high high prices for products that I know I can make myself for a fraction of that cost. And I'm a crafter, I make jewelry with wire wrapping, I crochet love to crochet, so this is my next hobby to start and I literally can't wait!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Sorry this is happening Susan. I subscribed to your blog last year and love learning how to make my own products from you. Your blog is so full of information and you've set up great reference points in your side bar that I refer to frequently.

What do you think of adding at the top of your side bar text that says something like, "I don't duplicate other manufactures products because I can make my own. Read along and you can too." ? Something along those lines. When the questions come then you can ignore them?

Anyway, I LOVE your blog, thanks for sharing your knowledge and awesome creativity with us.

Jan

Anonymous said...

So sorry you are getting so frustrated, Susan. You do so much work for us for free and we do appreciate it immensely! Might I suggest what happens, though, is that people new to your blog, like myself, stumble across all the dupe recipes and are misinformed by the old messages on those pages about sending you ingredient lists and you being willing to try to copy it. Perhaps it would be helpful to add a disclaimer to those dupe pages stating you are no longer willing to accommodate those requests, but to enjoy the ones you've already duped?

Thanks again, for all your hard work! Planning in getting a couple ebooks soon!

Lindsay

Anonymous said...

So sorry you are getting so frustrated, Susan. You do so much work for us for free and we do appreciate it immensely! Might I suggest what happens, though, is that people new to your blog, like myself, stumble across all the dupe recipes and are misinformed by the old messages on those pages about sending you ingredient lists and you being willing to try to copy it. Perhaps it would be helpful to add a disclaimer to those dupe pages stating you are no longer willing to accommodate those requests, but to enjoy the ones you've already duped?

Thanks again, for all your hard work! Planning in getting a couple ebooks soon!

Lindsay

robyn m said...

Hi Michelle. I've actually been subscribed for years now but I just don't get updates from any comments posted.

Alexis said...

Although a bit tedious, it may be well within your interest to edit each and every product duplication post with a message like the one below:

I do not help with product duplications any more. All emails for product duplications will be ignored.

Nanette said...

Hey Susan,

I, too, am sorry to see anyone cause you frustration. Another poster mentioned a thought I also had. Probably some are noticing older posts when you did duplicate. I know I had noticed that initially but after looking through more noted that had ceased. Perhaps at this point it is best just to delete those emails without reading. Somehow I believe that goes against your grain, though.

Jan H had a great idea in adding something to the sidebar. Maybe that won't stop it but perhaps cut it down.

This blog has become invaluable to me. My worst childhood, terror filled nightmare is now replaced with the thought of losing this blog! You are very appreciated!!!

My best,

Nanette

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. I have had the note up for quite a long time in the original duplicating post and in the section of the blog I ask you to click before writing to me. I also have it on the side bar of the blog.

Don't worry - I'm not going anywhere! I love the blog and I love you, my wonderful readers! I look forward to having time on the weekends to interact with you by reading and responding to comments and writing posts! I wouldn't know what to do if I didn't have this blog and you lovely people!

Hi Robyn. If you want to try it in your hair, try it! See what you think of it when you include it. Keep loads of notes.

If you enter your name into the email box on the right hand side of the blog, you'll be subscribing to the whole blog. You get the posts when published as e-mail.

How to subscribe to specific posts? Comment on them! You automatically get updates. I don't mind if you want to write something like "subscribing" or "interested in seeing what happens" as a comment!

robyn m said...

Ok. I will be trying it today so I'll take notes and update, if anyone is interested. Thanks for replying.

Me said...

To robyn m,
I found that I wasn't getting emails on new post comments either, just an email when Susan uploaded a new post (not comments)
I'm on a mac, so if you're on a PC I'm not sure how you would do it, but here's what I discovered:
If you want to follow a post, you can subscribe to the RSS feed for that post. Go to the bottom of the post, below the box that says 'Home' and 'Older Post' and you'll see 'Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)'.
Click on that link. On my mac, this opens up another window and you'll see ext of all the comments. Somewhere on there should be a link that says 'subscribe'. On a mac, it's on the lower right hand side and under 'actions', it says 'subscribe in mail' (that's the default email program for macs). I'm sure there is something similar if you're on a PC.
Or, maybe this is all for nothing and, because you commented on this post, you are already getting notifications ;)
Erin