Thursday, December 11, 2014

What do you want to know?

I can't believe that I have over three weeks off work starting on the 15th, so I'll have time to play in the workshop with loads of different ingredients making different products. I'll have time to write and do research!

So I'm asking you - what do you want to see in the new year on this blog? What ingredients interest you? What products do you want to make? What issues intrigue you? What do you want to know?

To make this more interesting, I'll be drawing two names at random from you, my lovely commenters, for your choice of e-book on December 31st! So tell me...what do you want to know?

For the curious - that image is of David Cross from Mr Show. Click here to see the sketch The Limits of Sceince. "Questions, questions, questions - modern man can think of three questions." 


J said...

I always wonder which products it's worth making. I know that there's plenty of fun to be had from pottering around being crafty, but I suppose I'd like to know which things I can make that will save me money/be better quality than shop bought/be better for me than shop bought/etc.

I worry that I'd buy a load of ingredients and end up spending a fortune making so-so stuff.

Birgit said...


I am really into extracts at the moment (oil soluble ones especially, but also water soluble and powders), and would love to read more about making targeted serums for different problems (I know, no claims) - serum for acne, wrinkles, dry skin, dark under eyes, split ends on hair etc.


Sandra said...

I've seen people list "carnauba wax" as an ingredient in mineral makeup and I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on that and putting other lipids in mineral makeup. If my experience with lip balms is any indicator, it would be pretty difficult to work with the wax, but jojoba may be a good idea. I've bought a new, dedicated, coffee grinder recently so I will be experimenting myself after my last exam on the 15th (I have 3 weeks off before semester 2 as well!).

RatRace said...

Thanks for asking for requests.

I want to know what I can use to keep my thick and curly hair moisturized during the winter.

Anonymous said...

I'm a super beginner and your blog has been very useful especially as I'm trying to keep things healthy and safe. I recently decided to try New Directions Self Emulsifying Wax, I want to make a hair lotion/souffle/pudding that combines beeswax and other oils with flaxseed gel, perhaps 50/50. What would be the recommended usage range?

Thanks so much,

Heather Behan said...

Hi Susan,
I'm busy working my way through all your posts so I still have lots to learn! However, as you asked, I'd like to have a list of which preservatives are compatible, or not, with others (that may be in added extracts) and also any other commonly-used ingredients than are compatible or not with others - e.g. silicones which are quite fussy about what they're combined with.
As ever, thank you so much for all the wonderful information you provide.

Susanna Originals said...

More natural stuff! I know you have talked about how everything is natural, even chemicals, but so many of us have the same problems as me. If I used normal shampoo, my head breaks out. If I use normal soap, my hands peel down about three layers of skin. Perfumes and scented oils give me an asthma attack. With the help of your basic recipes and ebooks, I'm gradually learning which of the ingredients I can leave out and what to replace them with but it's such a process of trial and error. Aside from all that, you are the most generous and giving person of your time and knowledge and you are SO appreciated!

Kim said...

More makeup! Please please please, pretty please!
Like how to make a liquid foundation, I know you have one already, which I made but I have issues with spreading the foundation on my face. It's a bit rigid (not the right word, but I can't find a better one atm) which makes the foundation look unnatural and mask like. I have a very pale skin, non of the store bought foundations match. I made a nice color grind that fits great, but the liquid part is an issue...

Happy holidays!

Beverly said...

I have just started making liotions, and would like to better understand the different emulsifiers out there. Your blog is an awesome resource, I really appreciate how generous you are with your knowledge!5611

Krystal said...

I would love to see more makeup as well! Also, skincare products for oily/acne prone skin.

Sandra said...

@Kim: I hate wearing most foundations as well! Try making a moisturizer and just add your mineral makeup powder to it for really light coverage foundation/ tinted moisturizer.

Sandra said...

#2 (sorry!): Probably on my 2nd ever order of ingredients, I ended up buying way too much mica as I later realized, and way too little coconut oil and others (0.5 of a litre is definitely not enough for newbie soapmaking). I've been learning from my mistakes but I think (hope?) that it's typical for beginners? It would be pretty helpful to beginners and even intermediates/advanced if you did a "haul" every couple of times you received a package from a supplier just to help others gauge what and how much is reasonable to buy? Especially for us Canadians who don't have TKB trading (but why is shipping from USA so expensive? QQ).

Allison Anne Block said...

I made one really big mistake (not just one, really!)in purchasing ingredients before I understood them or what I was going to do with them. (Is this a newbie effect, or just my own foolishness?) Everything sounded so wonderful and tempting. I now have a 1 kg. bottle of orange wax that might sit forever if I don't find some uses for it (other than furniture polish--I'm not much of a polisher!) Any suggesions for me? Or just chalk it up and try to learn my lesson? Thanks for your awesome site, and all the knowledge therein.

Anamaria said...

About TALLOW! How good it is for the skin, is it good for all the beauty products? How long would they last?

Kneeley said...

Hi Susan! I can see you're feeling better as you've written a ton of new posts lately! This makes me happy! :D I bet you're glad to get over that flu! Sadly I've traded mine in for a cold!:(

I would love to know more about molecular weights for each protein if possible as I'm really into hair products at the mo, and I'm not entirely sure on the weights for each type of protein(especially Lupine... I just cannot find anything on that at all)

Also, because I am a noob(although less nooby than I was about a month ago!) I bought powdered DLS instead of the liquid, and I'd love to know if you have any ideas for it :) I would really love to make a facial cleanser!

Sandra & Allison. I wouldn't worry about feeling like a newbie! I think it is our right of passage to make mistakes and we learn a lot more from the mistakes that we make. You should see some of my earlier emails to Susan... I cringe now at my own newbiness and it was only a few weeks ago(sorry about that Susan!). It's amazing how much we can learn if we take the time to really study! :D

P.S I have now made 4 shampoo bars, 3 conditioners and a first lotion and they have all turned out fab! Thank you so much for your amazing blog! I love learning something new everyday :D

Dawn said...

I have a ton of wonderful hydrosols and would love some ideas/suggestions on what to do with them besides lotions. I have a sandalwood hydrosol that is out of this world and I need suggestions for it's use.

Carolyn said...

I suspect there's still a massive amount of info on this blog that I haven't read yet, but I'd love to know more about how to make shampoos that have good wet-detangling/wet-combing qualities. Actually, to be honest, I'd love to read ANYTHING you have to say....interested also in emulsifying products.....
Thanks, Carolyn

Cooking For Two said...

I would love to understand more about xanthum gum and how to use it with oils fo make skin and haircare moisturizers. I like trying to use the xanthum in place of carbomer but have not mastered it yet.

And ditto on the make-up but more eyeshadows...

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi everyone! I'm writing down what you want to know and shall get onto them next week! Keep the ideas coming!

Hi J! What a great idea for a post! I have done a few posts about cost - is it cheaper to make your own products, part one and part two. There are posts linked to part one about making lower cost lotions.

Hi Sandra! Is it possible they are using sericite mica treated with carnauba wax? Check out this post, although there's not much more information than I've shared here.

Hi Hapi! Do you want to use a non-ionic emulsifying wax for this product or do you think a cationic conditioning emulsifier is a better choice? If the latter, then check out the hair care section of the blog. If you want to use e-wax, then just make a body butter type lotion with your e-wax. I'd recommend, though, conditioning while moisturizing.

Hi Beverly! Have you checked out what I have on emulsifiers so far? I have written about Natragem, Ritamulse SCG, Incroquat BTMS-50, e-wax, Polawax, Montanov 68, Lotionpro 165, Sucragel AOF, Olivem 800, and Olive 1000. (Look for them in the ingredients list on the right hand side of the blog or do a search.) Which others interested you?

Hi Krystal! I make so many products on this blog for oily skin as that's what I have. What products would you like to see?

Hi Kneeley! Thanks for the moral support to the new people! We all make mistakes - that's how we learn! What about using your DLS in your shampoo bars in place of the SLSa? Have you tried that yet? I'm having a love affair with lupine proteins, so look for more about it very shortly!

As I said above, I'm writing down all your suggestions and will get to them as time goes on! You've given me ideas for future posts! Keep them coming!

Katherine said...

I would like to see a post about surfactant based products that don't use cocamidopropyl betaine.

I know it has some nice properties, & I used it until I found out I'm allergic to it. That combined with fragrances causing problems,& phenoxyethanol making my skin burn, there are very few commercially available products that I can use.

Thanks for considering this.

Kelli Spears said...

Hi Susan,
I was curious about the Polysorbates. I regularly use Polysorbate 20, 60 and 80 and have seen your posts on the different uses of 20 and 80.
Was wondering more about Polysorbate 60. Why is it a thick, gooey semi-solid and the others are liquid? Are there any other notable differences/uses between this and the 20 and 80? I buy all of mine from Lotioncrafters and have always wondered why the consistency is so different but have been unable to find any discernible information online.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,

izoui said...

Hi Susan,
At some point you mentioned doing a serie about bath and body product for babies or kids. I am curious to see what I could change in my recipes to make them a bit more kid friendly.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan,

I love your blog! I would love to know how to make a water in oil emulsion, like a cold cream but using vegetable oils rather than mineral oil and lanolin.

Thanks in advance,


Iryna Boehland said...

Hi Susan, I am a newbie and my questions could be quite dumb. Feel free to ignore them.... In the soap making - superfatting means that you add the oil/butter as an extra after you run everything through the calc. or it is already included in the recipe/calculation? And the second - does lye kill off all the goodies in the precious oil, herbs and vitamins? For some reason I worry that they will not survive the harsh environment of soaponification.:-)

Michele Gunnells said...

I found your lovely site about a year ago at the beginning of my soapmaking/cosmetic journey. I've found this site so full of information! I would love to see tips on thickening with xanthan gum, or what results can be achieved with xanthan gum in cosmetics. Thank you!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Katherine! You can make any of my recipes without the cocamidopropyl betaine. You could use disodium cocoamphodiacetate in its place or any other surfactant. You won't get the thickening and the product might be a little less mild, but it's easy enough to leave it out.

Hi Iryna! There are no stupid questions! Unfortunately, I don't soap, so I don't know the answers your questions off the top of my head. I do want to know the answer to your second question, though, and I'll be looking into that shortly!

Hi Michele! Have you checked out the posts on xanthan gum? Did you want to know more than what I've written on the blog?

I'll be getting to your questions soon! Keep them coming!

Carrie said...

Thanks for all the solid, truthful information you share via your blog. I have learned so much!

My question is about aloe vera juice. Can it be used as a full water replacement in a lotion? And, if so, does it go through the standard 20 minute heat-and-hold process?

Thank you!

Nicole Parisien said...


Thank you so much for everything you do to help us handcrafters. I have been a regular follower of your blog for a few years now. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

I would love to hear more details about botanicals (extracts- both oil and water soluble, and hydrosols)

Take care,


Melanie said...

Can we make purple shampoo like clairol shimmer lights?

How can i judge how much I should make of something? I always end up with not enough to fill a bottle or too much. There is volume lost somewhere. Is there a calculation for that? Or does that mean I'm losing water in heating amd not adding enough back?

Tanya said...

Could we have a salicylic acid and sulfur shampoo? It has been discontinued by all manufacturers and it's the only thing that helps to psoriasis sufferers like me. I've been trying mix the shampoo myself, but sulfur keeps separating from the rest.

Mariena White said...

Hi, I would like some more ideas on blow dryer spray, hair oils, etc.

Cooking For Two said...

Please also let us know how to make oil blends for a hair or body spray. How do I get them to stay blended. i.e. If I use Capric Triglyceride and a few others what's the best selection for a homogenous blend.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Carrie! Yes, you can substitute all the water amount in a recipe with aloe vera. Heat and hold as normal. Note that the high levels of electrolytes could have some effects on your products, like increasing or decreasing viscosity or an increased feeling of stickiness.

Hi Nicole! Which botanicals interest you? I have a section of the blog devoted to extracts and hydrosols, and I'm happy to add more to it!

Hi Melanie! 100 grams of product isn't necessarily 100 ml of product, so you'll almost always have less volume than you do weight! I'll write more on this shortly!

Hi Cooking for Two! Does this post on specific gravity help answer your question? The short answer is that you would use oils that have similar specific gravities.

Please note, if I haven't responded to your comment it doesn't mean I'm ignoring you! I'm answering what I can here and am researching/writing about the other things in posts.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi J! I'm answering your question on Wednesday, December 17th. The short answer if you base it on cost, you almost always save money.

ProudKinky said...

Hi Susan!
Your blog is awesome but I think it will be awesomer if more posts on 'African descent hair type' are included. There are a log of hair bloggers out there but you are as legit as the word itself!

Allison Anne Block said...

Hi, Susan--I have a second request. My daughter loves the feel and scent of Monoi de Tahiti, and the body oils and hair treatments with it, etc. (She has only ever had the "Y.R." versions, though; I splurged and bought a bottle of "real" Monoi de Tahiti, but am finding it near impossible to find recipes. I would love to be able to make her a line of products with this--any suggestions? Thanks again for everything you do--Allison

Lulue said...

RE the Manoi de Tahiti- Anita Grant from the UK makes some lovely hair and body products with this.

I made a suggestion but it hasn't appeared. I am fairly new to this blog and spending so much time on it reading!!

I would be interested in some info on cleansing balms if possible.

Also, do you have a list of advice for the main ingredients to concentrate on when first starting out to avoid people like me going crazy spending?

Danuta Kildan said...

Susan, I wonder if you would help with mosquito repellent. It is nightmare for me, can not go to my huge and beautiful garden without covering myself with Off. I was wondering about incorporating essential oils into water. Using ps 20 should be enough. Is there anything I should use? I would think a lot of people would love to make it:)

Vicki said...

I became a homemade product fanatic about a year ago when I decided to try to make something out of the ingredients that come from my beehives. I made some CP soap, skin creams and lip balms and I'm absolutely delighted at the fact that a few simple ingredients could make the best products I've ever used. But I'm mystified as to why the same can't be done with shampoos. I'm just now starting to read your posts regarding shampoo ingredients and hair care, and so far, it appears it can't be done nearly as simply as other body care products. So I'd guess when you ask "What do you want to know?", I'd have to say that I'd really like to be absolutely sure that there isn't a way to make a decent shampoo out of products that don't have numbers and initials in their names!

By the way, your site is WONDERFUL!

Dawn said...

Hello again.

I just thought of something that I've been wondering how to make and perhaps this is something you can help with. How would one go about making a product like Poo Pourri?

sewmanio said...

Hi Susan I love your blog! I have been trying to make a dupe of a product called Aveeno shower oil. Is there any way you could possibly work out a recipe for this product? I would be happy to email you the ingredient list.
Thanks Sherrie

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandra,
thanks again for your blog, chem makes so much sense here!

I live in the tropics and have curly hair, for this reason I'm not sure cationic would be a good idea. New directions e-wax is anionic, I also purchased Oliwax from Lotioncrafters but have no idea what the charge is :(


Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi ProudKinky! I do have that on the research list for the new year, but I have to be honest in saying that I'm a little apprehensive writing about this hair type as I have been yelled at (on-line) for "telling African women how to prepare their hair" as well as other things. It makes me a bit wary to write on the subject. But I'm glad I have your vote of support!

Hi Allison! Monoi de Tahiti is coconut oil infused with gardenia oil, so you can use it however you use coconut oil! May I suggest a whipped butter with shea or mango butter with the Monoi de Tahiti at up to 30% to get that lovely fragrance in there?

Hi Lulue! What do you mean by a cleansing balm? Do you mean something like this cleansing milk or this Lush product? And for which products are you interested in buying ingredients? Lotions, conditioners, anhydrous products? If you can be more specific, I can be more helpful!

Hi sewmanio! I'm afraid I'm not helping with duplications any more. I figure I offer enough information on the blog that you can figure it out yourself!

Hi Hapi! (I'm Susan, not Sandra...) I'm not sure what being in the tropics means when it comes to the charge of your product as something that is positively charged will be positively charged regardless of climate. Are you possibly mixing up the idea of using a humectant? Cationic ingredients will adsorb to the hair strand to condition it, while non-ionic ingredients won't do anything to the hair strand at all. Using a cationic ingredient is called conditioining our hair, while using a non-ionic ingredient is called using a lotion in your hair. I can't recommend enough using a cationic emulsifier like Incroquat BTMS-50 to make a conditioner instead of making a lotion if you want to use it for your hair. It will offer many great features like conditioning, moisturizing, and detangling, while a lotion will only offer the moisturizing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan!
(So sorry, I have two friends with both those names and am always interchanging them :s).I think I understand the difference between humectants and adsorption but I remember reading in a previous post that the cationic compound would increase the water content on the hair fibre.

Living in the tropics where humidity is a constant issue I'm contemplating wether this would be a good thing or not. Add curly hair dynamics to the mix, extreme kinks included, excess lubicity sounds not-so-good. I was more focused on sealing i.e applying the final styling product to somewhat damp hair, hence the beeswax and oil ingredients. I hope this is a bit clearer.

Would you recommend Oilwax (Lotioncrafters) and E wax (New directions) as emulsifiers for a mix like this? I'm thinking of using 26% of the oil weight.

Thank you again,

Lizzie B said...

Hi Susan,
I would really love to know how to make whipped cream soap/foaming bath butter without lye.
I have bought the foaming bath butter base & enjoyed using it, but would I like to make my own version.
I recently bought a lovely (quite expensive) whipped soap in a little jar & the ingredients were ~
Vegetable glycerine, sodium coco sulphate, cocamidopropyl betaine,
propylene glycol, sorbital, stearic acid, sodium lactate and phenoxyethnol & caprylyl glycol.
Have you tried making a whipped soap base like this from scratch?
Its interesting that there is no water in above recipe.
Hope you can help! Thanks so much, I LOVE reading your posts & trying recipes at home :)

Rolanda said...

Hi Susan,

I have a problem with the fragrance/essential oil separating from the of the lotion. It happens with every formula I try. What could be causing this?

Allison Anne Block said...

Hi, Susan--Thank you for the suggestion of making a whipped body butter with my Monoi de Tahiti. I have two further questions: Yves Rocher has Eau de Toilette, Hair & Body Wash, Dry Body Oil, Moisturizing Perfumed Body Mist, and Traditional Tiare Oil (liquid)--my oil is a semi-solid). Is it possible to make any of these products at home? Also, do you know of any supplier who carries gardenia tahitensis flower extract? Thank you so much for your time. Allison

melian1 said...

i would like to know about micro silica spheres ( , INCI: HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer (and) Silica)

they are said to absorb oils (or other things?) and to release the absorbed stuff when you apply it to the skin. also supposed to help with the appearance of wrinkles and skin tone by scattering the light, to be worn under makeup. what are these? how do we use them? are they bad for the environment? (like, do they wash off and head into the water table or do they dissolve or what?)

Allison Anne Block said...

Hi, Susan--I should clarify my last post--all these store-made products are far from the semi-solid state of my Monoi. Is this through the use of ingredients we wouldn't really be wanting in our products, or can we duplicate some? Hope this makes my confusion clearer! Thanks--Allison

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Hapi! I never recommend using a non-ionic emulsifier in one's hair because it's like putting a lotion on your hair. It will moisturize, but nothing else. A cationic ingredient would condition your hair, making it stronger. It isn't going to add more water to your hair. Moisturizing isn't about water - it's about the oils. Hydrating is about water. We aren't using any hydrating ingredients with a cationic emulsifier. If you really want to use a non-cationic emulsifier, take a look at any lotion recipe and make that for your hair. If you want to make something that doesn't contain water, you're going to have a hard time getting it on your hair.

Hi Rolanda! In which products are you having a problem? If you could be more specific - for instance, I made a whipped butter with these ingredients - it would make it easier to answer your questions!

Hi Lizzie B! I've made something similar to foaming bath butter, but a little harder. You can find the recipe here. It isn't as fluffy as foaming bath butter, though. I think it needs a bit more water in the mix.

Hi Allison! You can use your Monoi de Tahiti as the butter amount in any lotion you find to make it more liquidy. For instance, if you made this body butter using Monoi de Tahiti as the butter amount at 15%, you would get at thick lotion that is definitely liquidy. The amount of water you use in the product determines the liquidy-ness of it. If you are making an anhydrous body butter with no water, you aren't going to get a very liquid product.

pat bortolin said...

Hi Susan, I would love it if you can duplicate a spray and go moisturizer?

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Pat! Could you link to an example of what you mean?

Hi Birgit! What do you mean by oil soluble extracts? I've written about a few of them - green tea, aloe vera and chamomile, mallow extract, orchid extract,
and a general post on oil soluble extracts vs. oils. Did you have any specific ones in mind?

As an aside, Jen at Lotioncrafter sent me a bunch of exciting samples last week that I've been playing with and researching, and quite a few of them are oil soluble. Look for those coming shortly...

pat bortolin said...

Hi Susan, Vaseline makes a moisturizer called spray and go, it comes in a can, it's the only lotion my husband uses, 6.5oz costs around $6.00 so I thought it would fun to duplicate the formula.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Pat! I took a look at the ingredients - find them here - and it appears to be a very very light moisturizer filled with lovely esters for moisturizing and conditioners. I think you could make a very light lotion with no thickeners and use that in a mister bottle. Like a body milk, but possibly thinner. You'd want to use an emulsifier that is very light - Lotionpro 165 is a good choice - that won't offer extra thickening.

And sewmario! Since I answered this one, I thought I should answer your duplicating question. I looked up the Aveeno moisturizing shower oil and these were the ingredients.

Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour, Laureth 4, Quaternium 18 Hectorite, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzaldehyde, Silica

The important ingredients here are the oil, oat flour, laureth-4 (a solubilizer/emulsifier), and the quaternium 18 (conditioner).

I think you could make this easily by getting the oil of your choice - they use mineral oil here, but you could use any oil - and add some of this oat flour - find it at the Herbarie as Venasilk. The problem is that the oat flour is not oil soluble, so what can we do here? You could use Dry Flo in its place for a silky feel. The laureth 4 is there to emulsify the quaternium 18, so you could leave both of those things out and see if you like it first, or you could try adding those two things. If you really want the conditioning for your skin without the hassle, consider adding 1% BTMS-50 or BTMS-25 or Rita 225 to the mix and that won't need an emulsifier.

These are both just shots in the dark, but I think they might be good starting points. Please let me know if you try them!

Keneesha Hudson said...

Hi Susan-
What is the best way to add Xanthum Gum to conditioner, both leave-in and rinse out. Also does Xanthum Gum play well with BTMS??

pat bortolin said...

Hi Susan, I made the spray & go body moisturizer and it's a hit!! thanks for your input.

Susan said...

I would like to know how to make good non-greasy barrier hand cream. My children's and my hands are SOOO dry from the harsh winter and frequent washing. My son's hands are getting so cracked, I feel so bad :-(

Elisabeth said...

Hi Susan!

Sort of a meta question here, do you keep some kind of "cheat sheet" data base for all your ingredients and their interactions with each other, or do you have it all in your head? My problem number one is to keep myself organised in such a way that I can start up smoothly again after taking a break -- I didn't have time to make anything for five months, and by now I almost feel I have to start from scratch with a proper inventory and redoing research and so on. Some pointers in how you keep all your information together would be really helpful. As always, thanks for sharing your knowledge and inspiration.

Love, Elisabeth

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Elisabeth! I've tried to answer your question in today's Weekend Wonderings. The short answer is that although I have things in my head, I use my charts and refer to the blog quite a lot when formulating!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Susan! Have you checked out this recipe for my favourite hand protectant. If you aren't using the esters, check out the emollients section of the blog to get some information on less greasy feeling oils!

pat bortolin said...

Hi Susan, i.m having difficulty melting sodium stearate,i mixed it with denatured alcohol on a double boiled (covered) but the SS clumped and the alcohol nearly evaporated. not sure how to reach 225F, i'm trying to make deodorant any suggestions? Thanks

Nicholls said...

Hi Susan,

I would like to make a leave-in hair mousse that I bought that I quite like. It's in a metal can with Butane, but I would like to make it so it can be used in a foamdispencer, if that's not possible than as a spray.
My hair structure is: on the top straight, from just above the ears wavy, downwards curls until very fine small ringlets and all over frizzy. Many different structures on just one head lol.
This mousse makes my straight hair gets its volume (making circles with my fingers on the scalp), I get beautiful curls that stay together, no more Frizz and hair that really shines.
Only problem is that the next day my hair feels slightly dry, but once I make it a little wet again its feels better.

So here are my thoughts about the ingredients listed on the can:
-Aqua: Yep, need that
-Isobutane: gas, don't want that
-Polyquaternium-46 (terpolymer of vinylcaprolactam, vinylpyrrolidone, and quaternized vinylimidazole): A cationic polymer used to condition the hair and thicken products, yep want that
-Butane: gas, don't want that
-PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil: hmm, will this make it foam without the isobutane?
-Cetrimonium cloride: hair detangler, yes yes yes do want that!
-Glycerine: moisturizer, yep want that
-Parfum (fragrance) : yep, love a good smell
-Theobroma Cacao (Cacao) Extract: hmm, extract(?), ore is it just Cacaobutter, whel I think I could use some oil/butter benefits
-Tocopherol: always good to use vitamin E
-Linalool : Essential Oil, don't know if I want it because of the allergens
-Limonene: degreaser, so did this make my hair feel dry the next day? Why is this in a hair product, actually I don't like to use it anyway.
-Coumarine: very powerful anti-oxidant, what does it do for the hair?
-Citral (also known as lemonal): found in Essential oils: lemon myrtle (90-98%), Litsea citrata (90%), Litsea cubeba (70-85%), lemongrass (65-85%), lemon tea-tree (70-80%), Ocimum gratissimum (66.5%), Lindera citriodora (about 65%), Calypranthes parriculata (about 62%), petitgrain (36%), lemon verbena (30-35%), lemon ironbark (26%), lemon balm (11%), lime (6-9%), lemon (2-5%), and orange), don't know if I would like it in a product, could this also make my hair feel dry?
-Methylchloroisothiazolinone: preservative, I would use Optiphen(?)
-Geraniol: Found in Essential oils, don't know wich one but what does it do for hair(?) I'd go for a Fragrance oil.
-Methylisothiazolinone: preservative, I would use Optiphen(?)
-Citric acid: maybe used to get the PH down?
-Triethanolamine (F01): used as emulsifier?

So looking at this I wonder:
- what the heck is doing so great for my hair
-what can I leave out or replace
-is it possible to get this working in a foam dispencer
-what would the percentage be of the ingredients

Would love to hear your 2 cents about this and if possible your guiding hand.

Tania Nicholls (and yes it really is a great name lol)

Nicholls said...

Forgot to say that I'm not asking you to duplicate this product for me, just need some help to turn this into a product for in a foamer bottel (if possible)

Tania Nicholls