Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Ingredient: Kera straightening and curls

I'm planning to share a recipe with you that contains this ingredient kera straightening and curls (INCI: Hydrolyzed Keratin & Trametes Versicolor Extract), so it seemed like a good idea to take a look at it!

We're all familiar with keratin - it's the protein we find in our hair, skin, and nails. The hydrolyzation of it means that it is made more water soluble and slightly positively charged so we can use it in our products. When we use a protein in a product, we are looking for it to do a few things, including film form, moisturize, and condition our hair. We are using the keratin here to add some strength to our hair and help it remain pliable.

Trametes versicolor is a type of mushroom that is being used in this application as it contains an enzyme called laccase. It is claimed that this "enzyme is capable of annealing disulphide bonds which help enhance hair strength" (Annealing is when a heat treatment alters the structure of a material.) You might remember from the post on lycopene that disulphide bonds give hair its shape,  so strengthening those bonds means we are less likely to see breakage or weakness at those points.

I'm afraid I can't find much about this trametes versicolor in all my searches. It sounds very interesting, which is why I used it in my products. 

I've been using the kera straightening and curls at up to 10% in my cool down phase. It's recommended for use in leave in conditioners and other products you might use while drying, straightening, or curling your hair with heated devices.

Wikpedia entry on trametes versicolor
Wikipedia entry on laccase
Entry on Formulator Sample Shop
Active concepts data bulletin

As usual, please note that although Formulator Sample Shop has sent me free things, I have not been compensated to try the ingredients or write about them on the blog. My opinion is solely my own. Whether I like the ingredient or not is up to me! 


robyn said...

Yes!! I've been thinking about trying this ingredient but was hesitant since it's preserved with leucidal. I was worried that by the time I received it, there would already be contamination. I don't trust leucidal as a preservative but since you've used it, I'll gladly take my chances. I LOVE THIS BLOG!!!!

Lise M Andersen said...

and on another matter, I'd like to thank you for continually being an inspiration to read and wish you a very happy new year Susan. Big hug from Copenhagen!!

Shannon Marie said...

I'm so glad you're trying these ingredients! I've been eyeing them at the Formulator Sample Shop website. How does it seem to work on your hair? Did you use heat when you styled your hair? I want to try this recipe. I've been experimenting with the FSS marshmallow extract and bamboo bioferment (separately) at 10% for even more slip and detangling in my rinse-out conditioners. I really like the results.