Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Foaming bath butter: Let's make a walnut shell scrub!

I still have some foaming bath butter in my workshop, so I thought I'd make a hydrating and moisturizing scrub for the winter months.

I find foaming bath butter on its own makes my skin feel a bit tight after using, so I wanted to add some moisturizing ingredients. I thought I'd add some oil - baobab oil because it was at hand and is a thicker oil than something like soy bean oil - and some protein - I chose lupine amino acids because it was close at hand and feels really nice. I added glycerin because it's a fantastic humectant that draws water to your skin from the atmosphere, it's inexpensive, and it doesn't wash off your skin when you rinse off the scrub. I've added polyquat 7 to offer skin conditioning and moisturizing. You could use another cationic polymer, like honeyquat, or leave it out if you don't have it.

I wanted a scrub, but some of the sugar in the previous recipe dissolved, which made it feel a little stickier than I would like, so I thought I'd use walnut shells in this recipe. You can use any exfoliant you'd like in this recipe, from seeds to shells to sugar or salt.

57% foaming bath butter
5% lupine protein or another hydrolyzed protein
5% baobab oil
3% glycerin
3% polyquat 7 or another cationic polymer
2% fragrance oil (I used Yuzu here!)
25% walnut shells

Add the foaming bath butter and all the ingredients, except the walnut shells, into a container and whip until it looks like frosting. Add the walnut shells. Mix. Package. Rejoice.

I tried using 12% walnut shells and found it wasn't scrubby enough, so I upped it to 25% and really liked that. You might want to try with a lower amount and work your way up.

What can you do if you don't have all these ingredients? First, figure out which ingredients are essential. In this case, it's the foaming bath butter and the scrubbies. If you don't have either of those, you can't make this recipe.

I think the other two major ingredients here are the oil for moisturizing and the humectant for hydrating. I definitely suggest you add those ingredients as they will make a huge difference for such a small inclusion. If you don't want to use the protein or cationic polymer, but aren't sure how to modify this recipe, then check out this recipe - basic recipe for a foaming bath butter with oils!

Join me on Boxing Day to play with the lupine amino acids in a 3-in-1 shampoo, conditioner, and body wash recipe!

Related posts:
Physical exfoliants, part one
Physical exfoliants, part two
Why did I buy this? Foaming bath butter! 
Let's make a foaming bath butter white chocolate sugar scrub!


La Prairie Lady said...

Hello Susan

I made my own cream soap base and yes it leaves the tight skin. You can add anything you want. Oil, grinded oat, honey, clay, goat-coconut-skim milk powder ect.

Let me tell you a big thank you for all that you provide us. I learned a lot this year on your blog.

I wish you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Health, Happiness and Prosperity


Amanda Dvorak said...

I was wondering when adding a water soluble ingredient like Chamomile extract or Quinoa Extract to this bath whip if I should add a preservative for extra precautions? I'm wanting to make a foaming bath whip with your additional ingredients PLus Zchanomile and Quinoa extract. Just wasn't sure if I needed to add additional preservative. Thank you Susan you are truly a GEM!

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Amanda! Thank you for your kind words. I'm blushing!

I think you can add a titch of something to the product, but don't go adding a lot more as I've already adding quite a bit to this product. I think the additions are just fine, though, as long as they have their own preservatives already.

Quinoa extract. What's that about? I'm intrigued....