Tuesday, December 16, 2014

A few thoughts for a slightly chilly Tuesday...

I hope you're all having a wonderful week! I'm off work until January 5th, so I spent yesterday in the workshop making all kinds of lovely things with all kinds of lovely ingredients. You'll see those posts in the next little while!

If you're looking for a last minute crafting idea, why not make a water based fragrance spray? They're super easy - 1% to 3% fragrance or essential oil to 1% to 3% solubilizer like PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, caprylyl/capryl glucoside, or polysorbate 20 - with 0.5% to 1% preservative of choice and water to make up 100%. Bottle and rejoice! They're super easy!

These are ones we made in our craft group. Don't forget to give the fragrance spray a great name and label! 

I read this on the BBC this morning and thought it was interesting. Ever wonder why orange juice tastes so bad after brushing your teeth? I always thought it was thanks to the evil mint flavour, but it's thanks to the SLS (sodium lauryl sulphate)! "Detergent molecules like SLS have chemical properties that let them elbow their way into bubbles of fat molecules and disperse them...But the membranes of our biological cells are also made of fats. The current theory is that SLS somehow tampers with the membranes of the taste cells on our tongue...So when you drink orange juice under the influence of SLS, you taste none of its sweetness and its tartness comes across as bitter." Neat stuff, eh? You gotta love chemistry!

I would like to extend a huge thank you to Andrea for her kind donation of many many many bottles and jars to my youth programs. You've made it possible for us to make tons of bath & body things we wouldn't have been able to make, like the fragrance sprays above. The new year will bring much bathing, showering, washing, and smelling fun to the youth in my programs!

As a note, all the proceeds from the e-books I offer on this blog go directly to the youth in the youth programs my husband and I offer at the Neighbourhood Learning Centre in Chilliwack and the Yarrow Community Hall in Yarrow, B.C. If you want to learn more, click here!

No comments: