Monday, December 8, 2014

A crafter's Christmas list: A few gift ideas...

It's hard to find presents for the crafter in your life because what we want tends to be really specific to the projects you want to make, but there are a few things the bath & body crafter might like! 

Pyrex jugs. I find we can never have enough heatproof containers for crafting. I like to have two of each type - 1 cup, 2 cup, 4 cup, and 8 cup jugs. 

Large wooden or plastic spoons. Again, we can never get enough of these! 

Metal spoons. You know, the kind you use to eat food. You can get packages of 20 or 25 from your local restaurant supply store. 

Rubber gloves. I mean nice thin ones, not the ones you find in the dishwashing department! 


A good scale. There are many different ones you could choose. (This one is from Voyageur Soap & Candle and it can be plugged in or use the battery.) I also like the Escali digital scale that can be found at our suppliers' stores as well as in kitchen stores. I know London Drugs in Canada used to carry them, so they are easy to find. 

Batteries for the scales. You might have to check to make sure, but most of them are AA.  

A cute or manly apron. We have a small tendancy to wipe our hands all over our clothes when crafting, and this will save us some laundry bills! 

Gift certificates to their favourite supplier. This is always welcomed! 

A class! Check out your local supplier, community centre, arts council, or library to see if anyone is offering classes near you. If you're in the Lower Mainland or Fraser Valley of British Columbia, check out what Voyageur Soap & Candle has to offer. (I'll be offering more classes in 2015!) 

Paprika app. This app is such a great way to arrange our recipes! You can scale them up or down and create a shopping list. And yeah, I guess you could use it for food recipes...

A good notebook. Something that has a waterproof or spillproof cover would be a good idea. We always need a place to write our ideas or recipes. 





An electric fondue pot makes a wonderful double boiler with a temperature gauge you can control easily. There are a few brands out right now - I use the Rival fondue pot, but there's an Oster electric fondue pot, too.  The Cuisinart fondue pot ranges from $49.99 to $126.99, so look around to get the best price. 


If your crafter loves making facial products or surfactant based products (foamy, lathery things like shampoos or body washes), a pH meter is a great idea! I like this one from Lotioncrafter, but it's only available in the States. I have the Jenco Vision Plus and I really like it! 

I did a search on Amazon.ca, and I found this list of pH meters. Perhaps there's something you like there? 





Books make great presents for us crafty types! Check out Brambleberry's melt & pour soap e-books or Lotioncrafter's book section for more ideas. You can generally find books in your local bookstore, but it's hard to know which ones are good. I know that Making Liquid Soaps by Catherine Failor is a good one for soap makers, as is Anne-Marie Faiola's Soap Crafting (our own Soap Queen!) 

As a shameless plug for my e-books, if you want to order something to be delivered on Christmas, just let me know! You can even play Secret Santa and leave your name off. Please let me know in the comments when you make your donation! All the proceeds from our e-books go to support the Rated T for Teen youth programs my husband and I offer at the Neighbourhood Learning Centre in Chilliwack and the Yarrow Community Centre in Yarrow, B.C. Canada. 


What do you want for Christmas? I'm sure there's loads of stuff I've left out and I'd love to hear from you! Have any book suggestions? Leave your comments below! 

9 comments:

Charlene said...

Can you send a personal e-mail to my husband with these suggestions as a subtle hint..lol Just kidding (kind of). I would like for Christmas an assortment of sample size fragrances...a bunch of them I am obsessed right now and may have a bit of problem with fragrances at the moment. I make CP soap and started making Liquid soap, as well as experimenting with anhydrous products (thanks to you :)) I have your anhydrous book, which is wonderfully packed with information, and I would like the rest of them for Christmas as well..lol a second STICK BLENDER!! The best invention since sliced bread, and a ph meter for when I venture over into surfactants and lotion, hopefully next year!. ok I am starting to feel selfish so I will leave it there. lol

craftysusu said...

I bought Catherine Failor's Liquid Soapmaking book after taking a class on castile soap, with the intention of making shampoo, of which there are many recipes in the book. After wasting a year of reading and study (BEFORE I found you, Susan!) I realized I was barking up the wrong tree. Also, this is the most poorly organized book I have ever read!! And now I know, only through trial and error, that castile soap is much too high ph for our delicate locks. It is also very unpredictable, making added colorants and fragrance unstable, much like CP soap. Angie Turner from The Herbarie said it best, "The only thing castile soap is good for is cleaning products."

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Charlene! Send me his email address and I'll get on it! :-)

Hi craftysusu! So you wouldn't recommend this book?

Monique said...

Great information Susan. I really need giant jars so I can make larger quantities to store. This way I can make new products. I also want ingredients to make my own lipsticks. If someone is looking for the same type of pH meter as Susan's. I found a site that sells it for $79.85. They are located in Texas. The web address is www.katsci.com. I have not ordered yet, but will. Also, personalformulator.com no longer sells cetrimonium bromide or its cousin chloride.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Monique! You can get cetrimonium chloride at Lotioncrafter (US) or at Creations from Eden (Canada). I don't know of any European or Australian suppliers yet.

Birgit said...

I would like some nice jars for ready products, so far so many that I have tried have ended up leaking. Can you recommend 4, 6 or 8 oz jars with a tight fitting lid that would not leak? Oh, and gift cards, I just got some spare time and as a result I have a 600 dollar wish list of new ingredients I would like to try.
Birgit

Monique said...

Thanks Susan for the information about lotioncrafter

Melanie said...

Thank you for this post!! My husband was asking for a wish list for me and you did it for me!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post Susan.
I just wanted to share a scale that I have my eye on. It comes with an adapter and measures .5g. You can also disable the auto off mode. I have one that measures 1g but since I'm just starting and making small batches, I really wanted something more accurate. The price is right too :)

There are a lot of places that you can get it but here's one.

http://canadianweigh.com/collections/tabletop-scales/products/cj-4000

Erin