Sunday, November 30, 2014

Egg nog for the nog-less

I'm what we call around these parts a lactard, meaning I'm lactose intolerant, which means my formerly beloved egg nog is just a memory now, even with these new fangled tablets they have these days. (Don't get me started with a suggestion of soy or almond nog. They make me miss nog even more!) For a while I could content myself with egg nog or Christmas flavoured teas, but they all seem to be peppermint themed for the last few years. So I set out to make my own. 

I combined equal parts cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and all spice and added 3/8 teaspoon to a 24 ounce pot of vanilla flavoured black tea, which works out to 1/8 tsp per cup. Success! I encourage you to use 2% or 3.5% fat milk for a creamier taste - lactose free for me, obviously! - and enjoy all year 'round!

This has encouraged me to think about making my own tea blends in the new year! Hmm, what does Easter taste like? 


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to make "egg-nog" with canned coconut milk. Yes, the full fat stuff. I was pretty desperate for calories at the time bc my body had decided to become allergic or intolerant to almost every food known to man. So I might not have been the most unbiased judge of flavor. I thought it was heaven. But still, worth a try, I'd say.

-Mel28