Thursday, October 2, 2014

Question: Why don't we use coconut oil in sugar scrubs?

It's been a crazy time around the Barclay-Nichols household this week, and I haven't found a good chunk of time to sit down and write a blog post. And the busy will continue for a while as I'm teaching a class at Voyageur Soap & Candle on Saturday, so I won't get time to do more writing until Sunday! Argh! Oh well, it's that time of year, eh? 

As a secondary note, it looks like Blogger has been messing about with the search again, so when you look for something, it brings up all the posts for that entire month instead of just the one you want. I can't control this - sorry. I can't even find a place to write to them to tell them it's annoying. 

Note: The search is working again! Yay! 

In this post on heatproofing emulsified sugar scrubs, eyeluvmakeup asks: So if it's regular body scrub, why does it matter if the coconut oil melts since you would want and oil based scrub, regular scrub that is?

To give a bit of context, I had suggested this: This is why I discourage you from using coconut oil as the major oil in an anhydrous product like a sugar scrub, whipped butter, lip balm, or lotion bar. It melts at 76˚F or 24˚C, which is easy to reach in a bathroom, hot car, or pocket in the spring and fall months, and very easy to reach in the summer anywhere. The same suggestion goes for babassu oil, which has a melting point of 24˚C or 76˚F.

If we're heatproofing a sugar scrub, using coconut oil means we'll have a melted mess when the temperature gets a little high. We want our scrub to be solid-ish and fluffy. Using coconut or babassu oil means that it could be more liquidy and runny. If you like your scrubs that way, then use coconut or babassu oil. But if you want to have a fluffy emulsified scrub that won't melt in the heat, then you'll definitely want to stay away from the low melting point solid oils. (The oil to the left here is an oil based scrub that is liquid. Compare this to the emulsified scrub picture higher up this post.) 

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I didn't think of it but I just used coconut oil in my e-scrub and it did get some oil on top, I'm thinking it was the coconut. I was out of shea so I figured it was worth a shot, but this is a good point!

Birgit said...

How about coconut oil with higher melting point (e.g. 92)?

Lina My Andersson said...

Really love your blog! We do no poo product for ourself and this blog is such an inspiration to us! Regard My ( My is actully a swedish name, lol )

Michelle Squyars said...

Do you recommend any oils with a high temperature melting point?

Penny Lane Organics said...

I use 92 degree coconut oil in all our products

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Michelle! You can use any of the butters in a scrub - learn more about them in the emollients section of the blog!

Tawakana said...

Hi susan would you use coffee in scrub?