Saturday, October 18, 2014

Have you thought about making mineral make-up or nail polish? Why not give it a try!

As I try to catch up on all the e-mail and comments, I thought I'd share a few pictures from my craft group this Thursday. I was thrilled to see that the mineral make-up group had almost as many boys as girls! (Hey, they have mothers and girlfriends, you know!)

How to make a nail polish? It's unbelievably easy! We mixed up to 5 small scoops of your favourite mica (0.15 cc per small scoop, so a total of 0.75 cc) with 5 ml of clear nail polish. (We used this suspending nail polish base from Voyageur Soap & Candle.) Mix well in a small plastic shot glass, then pour into the adorable little bottle with a steady hand or a tiny funnel. (Again, we used these adorable 5 ml bottles from Voyageur Soap & Candle.) Make sure you add two little metal ball bearings to the bottles to make it easier to shake. And you're done! We made almost a hundred in Thursday night's group!

Want some recipes? Check out the fantastic set at Voyageur Soap & Candle or check out the search I did on Soap Queen for a few. Anne-Marie has a tutorial for making a matte polish, another for making a scented nail polish, and a video tutorial

You can take your favourite eye shadow blend of micas and use those in your eye shadows. Just don't add the eye shadow base to it and you can add it to the polish!

Did you know that your homemade custom blends are called "franken" polishes? And did you know that if you want to make something matte or more pastel, you can add white polish? If you want to make something darker, you can add black polish to the mix! Give it a try! 

If you're interested in learning more about mineral make-up, check out the section on the blog devoted to this topic. (You can find all the sections on the right hand side of the blog!) I'd love to see what you make!

All of the micas I use in these pictures are from Voyageur Soap & Candle. That lovely blue in picture two is called Mermaid Cove, but I can't find it on their site. And I suggest getting yourself the drama queen mica if you want to make some really awesome reds.

4 comments:

Carol Harvey said...

How wonderful! I love nail polish. I'm waiting for my supplies to come in so I can mix up my own colors. :) Happy happy joy joy.

Ambra said...

You are amazing! I would need have thought to make nail polish, although I have ventured into mineral make up. Your blog is a treasure. Thanks :)

Refa said...

Well. Nah. I mean, ish.
Technically a franken(polish) is when you blend polishes you already have into a new blend (add clear to a pink to make a french pink, glitter to a cream etc) but since "frankening" became a verb for any and all polish mixing I would concede that clear+pigment can be classified as a franken.

Sandra said...

Hello Susan!

I have a question, I had an idea about taking a basic lip balm recipe and incorporating Ubiquinone (Q10) to make it into a sort of solid anti-wrinkle serum. Do you know if this is possible? I have read that Q10 is water soluble but since I've never seen this type of product in the market I'm a bit hesitant about using this very expensive ingredient and failing. If you have any ideas on how I could formulate an anhydrous product using Q10 (and perhaps even hyaluronic acid) I would be very grateful. Have a lovely day!