Saturday, September 13, 2014

Weekend Wonderings: Making a coconut oil whipped butter? How to use preneutralized carbomer?

In this post on whipped butters, Selah asks:  I would like to make a whipped body butter with just these ingredients: coconut oil, beeswax, vitamin e oil and essential oils. Would you happen to know a good ratio to use for a whipped body butter like that? FWIW: I made one yesterday that had a slightly too thick consistency, but it was also super greasy/oily and took about 20 minutes for it to fully soak in to the skin. I was hoping to find a ratio for beeswax/coconut oil that would end up in a smoother finished product that is less oily. thank you in advance!

Why do you want to use those ingredients? I ask because coconut oil is not a good oil from which to make a whipped anhydrous (non-water containing_ butter as it melts at slightly above room temperature. (I suspect that's why you want to ues the beeswax.) If you want to try this as a body butter, you can start with 10% beeswax and 90% coconut oil and see if it gives you the texture and consistency you want. If not, then try with 20% beeswax. Then 25% or 30%. And so on. You will have to do some testing of this in places that might be slightly warmer, like your kitchen or bathroom after a shower, to see if it holds up in the heat before putting it in your purse or in an overnight bag!

Here's the thing - you won't get something that is less oily because coconut oil is oily and it makes up the majority of the product. The skin feel of a product is dependent upon its ingredients, and when you use an oil as the main ingredient that oil's skin feel will likely be the skin feel of the product. If I use shea butter as the main ingredient in a whipped butter, I'll have a greasier feeling product than if I used mango butter as the main ingredient. Beeswax will help make a product stiffer, but it won't make it feel less greasy.

My two cents? If you really must have coconut oil in a whipped butter, consider using it with another butter. Choose something that will stiffen the product, like mango butter, shea butter, cocoa butter or another one of these exotic butters at something like 20% to 35% and see how it works out for you. The butter should stiffen the coconut oil enough to be thicker. That's what I did with this babaussu whipped butter - which has melting points very much like coconut oil - and it was awesome!

Related posts:
Coconut oil? Coconut oil! 
A quick note about coconut oil and warm temperatures

In this post, Gels (revised for 2013), Lisa asks:  I found Sodium Carbomer - Preneutralized Carbomer at Lotioncrafter. If I'm reading it right, I shouldn't have to use a lye solution or triethanolamine? Am I correct? If so, any idea what the basic recipe would be then? I'm so bad at math. Thanks in advance if you can help. 

Yes, this is a pre-neutralized carbomer, meaning it comes to you in a gelled format that you would add to other ingredients to make gelled products!

It depends upon the thickness of the gel, but you would just add other ingredients to it and mix. You can see a number of these recipes in the one ingredient, five products: gel series that I've been writing this week. (Go to that post and hit "newer post" to see the next post!) Or check out these other posts on using gels in our products!

Related posts:

Join me tomorrow for more fun formulating!

1 comment:

Selah said...

First of all, thank you for responding to my questions!

I initially wanted to use those ingredients because I had them readily available to me, and because I think I'm allergic to shea butter. Ordering mango butter is possible but it would take a few days, and i just wanted to do it that same day (I have no patience lol)

that being said, it sounds like coconut oil and beeswax woudn't make a good whipped product. I just need to go ahead and order the better ingredients online. Thank you!