Thursday, September 18, 2014

One ingredient, five products: Gels - making a spot treatment

Spot treatments can be an effective way to deliver active ingredients to your skin. You don't want to put a lot of ingredients into it - just the ones you really want to use to help a specific skin problem.

I'm thinking of making a skin lightening spot treatment for my mom as she has a spot on her face that she wants to get rid of, and I have a few ingredients that might help with that. I have liquid liquorice root extract, which I can use at 1% to 10% in my product, so let's take a look at how I might do that!

Remember, we're not allowed to make claims that something could whiten your skin or lighten up the look of age spots or other discolourations, so I'm not going to do that. What I will say is that I'm making a spot treatment with liquorice extract or lemon peel extract and I hope it will work in this fashion. I know, it's a roundabout way of saying things, but I can't guarantee this will do anything for anyone's skin as I haven't tested it.

For all of these recipes, first make a thick gel using the carbomer of your choice. (Here's my version of the thick gel!)

LIQUORICE ROOT EXTRACT GEL
90% gel
10% liquorice root extract (liquid)

Mix the liquid extract with the gel and bottle it. Rejoice!

I have another ingredient that might work well as a spot treatment - lemon peel extract, an ingredient that the Formulator Sample Shop* sent to me. It has a usage rate of 0.5% to 2% and it's supposed to be good for lightening skin.

LEMON PEEL EXTRACT GEL
1% lemon peel extract (liquid)
99% gel (thick gel)

Mix the liquid extract with the gel and bottle it. Rejoice!

Are there other spot treatments we could make? Of course! We could make up an acne spot treatment! Let's take a look at that on Monday!

Other posts in this series:
One ingredient, five products: Gels
One ingredient, five products: Gels - making an aloe vera gel
One ingredient, five products: Gels - making an eye gel
One ingredient, five products: Gels - making a gelled toner (part one)
One ingredient, five products: Gels - making a gelled toner (part two)
One ingredient, five products: Gels - making a gelled toner (part three)
One ingredient, five products: Gels - making a gelled after shave

*The Formulator Sample Shop sends me samples of their ingredients for free. I am not being compensated in any way to write about their ingredients, and I have made it clear that I will share my opinion, good or bad, with the readers. All the ingredients I use on this blog are purchased with my own wages, unless otherwise indicated. Someone was upset that I said this last line, that I bought my ingredients with my wages, as if I expected the "ingredient fae" (which I think was supposed to be "fairy") to give me stuff. I mention this because I want you, my wonderful readers, to know if there's something that might influence me, like free stuff. I admit I'm biased towards certain suppliers because I've had good experiences with them, but that's usually pretty obvious! 

3 comments:

Gerald said...

Thank you for this post. Sounds like what my wife has been asking for.
I am interested to make the spot treatment with Liquorice root extract and the also the lemon peel extract. However, so far I am unsuccessful for locating the Liquorice extract. If you would recommend a supplier I would really appreciate. USA if possible.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Check the Formulator Sample Shop as that's where I obtained mine.

Birgit said...

Susan,
Did you ever get around to making the acne spot treatment you were planning to post about the following Monday? I sure would be interested in seeing how you go about it.
Cheers,
Birgit