Monday, August 18, 2014

One ingredient, five products: Cucumber extract in an eye gel

I really love this eye gel recipe, and I thought it could only be made better by including some liquid cucumber extract. You can use powdered cucumber extract at 0.5% in this product, but you will end up with a darker coloured gel. No big deal, just thought you might want to know.

I made a gel using this recipe, then I removed 20 grams and made myself a lovely eye gel with cucumber.

CREATING A GEL WITH CARBOPOL ULTREZ 20 (THICK GEL)
96.8% distilled water
1.2% Carbopol Ultrez 20
1.6% 18% lye solution or triethanolamine
0.4% liquid Germall Plus (or preservative of choice)

To make it easier...
242 grams of distilled water
3 grams Carbopol Ultrez 20
4 grams 18% lye solution or triethanolamine
1 gram liquid Germall Plus

Please check out the post I wrote last year on making gels to see the recipe and process.

Remove 95 grams of the gel and add either 5 grams liquid cucumber extract or 0.5 grams powdered extract. You'll want to dissolve the powdered extract in a little liquid. Might I suggest you use something like panthenol - up to 2 grams of it - to dissolve the powdered extract? (You can make a small batch of this - I liked the one I made with 20 grams gel, 1 gram liquid cucumber extract.)

You can add all kinds of wonderful things to this eye gel. Check out the posts to which I've linked to below to see more ideas on how to modify this recipe for your skin types and workshop ingredients.

Other posts in this series:
One ingredient, five products: Cucumber extract
One ingredient, five products: Cucumber extract in a basic toner
One ingredient, five products: Cucumber extract in a more complicated toner

Related posts:

3 comments:

Clive said...

To make it easier...
242 grams of Carbopol Ultrez 20
3 grams Carbopol Ultrez 20
4 grams 18% lye solution or triethanolamine
1 gram liquid Germall Plus

I think this needs correction?

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Thanks for the catch, Clive! I've updated it!

Anahit said...

Hi Susan!
Being inspired by this post, I have decided to try out my own version of cucumber eye gel. Instead of dry cucumber extract I used fresh cucumber juice preserved with 0.08% of potassium sorbate. My list of ingredients lookes like this:
86% Cucumber juice (preserved)
0.5% Aloe200x powder
0.5% allantoin
10% Witch hazel distillate (alcohol free)
1% Sodium hyaluronate
0.95% Konjac glucomannan (from Aromantic)
0.05% Xanthan gum
1% gluconolactone and sodium benzoate

I've got a lovely gel with nice consistency, but alas, it irritates my skin around eyes! Do you have any idea which of the ingredients might cause this? I kind of suspect witch hazel, but they say the alcohol free version which I am using should not cause any irritation, so I am confused... What do you think?