Friday, August 22, 2014

My favourite dishwashing soap recipe with d-Limonene

I love making lotions, but I really hate the greasy mess that I have to clean up afterwards, so I turn to my favourite degreasing ingredient - d-Limonene! This solvent derived from citrus fruit can cut through the greasiest mess on your dishes and utensils!

It's a really simple recipe. Just make sure you follow the steps in order. It won't blow up or anything, it just won't solubilize the d-Limonene properly if you add the soap first. 

EASY DISHWASHING LIQUID MODIFICATION
5% d-Limonene
5% polysorbate 20 or polysorbate 80
90% dishwashing liquid of choice. 

I weigh the d-Limonene right into the bottle, then the polysorbate 20 or 80. I mix it up really well by shaking. Then I add the dishwashing liquid - I like Sunlight, mainly because of the day-glo yellow colour and citrus-y scent - and shake well. You're done! 

My suggestion is to load up the sink with the greasy dishes, add the dishwashing liquid, then let set for 5 to 10 minutes. You'll find the grease just slides right off! I am not joking about this! It is quite awesome. 

Where to buy d-Limonene? I know of two places - Voyageur Soap & Candle in Surrey, B.C. and New Direction Aromatics (Canada or USA site). 

Yes, you can use an essential oil of a citrus fruit in place of the d-Limonene but the cost might be more, so be aware of that. I've heard orange is the best choice, although lemon is supposed to be good, too.

And you can use another solubilizer in place of the polysorbate 20 or 80. I haven't tried PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil in this application, but I'm sure it will work very well at a 1:1 ratio. You can try caprylyl/capryl glucoside as well, but I don't know how that will work as I haven't had good results with it with other essential oil type products. 

As I've mentioned in the past, try d-Limonene in other degreasing products, like hand cleansers, cleaning sprays, and even shampoos at low levels for really greasy hair. 

Related posts: 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Citrus oils have a shorter shelf life than other essential oils, so I try to keep ahead of oxidation by adding leftover orange, lemon, lime and/or grapefruit oil to my regular dishwashing liquid after they've been opened for more than six, seven months. Compared to other essential oils they're fairly inexpensive, so I don't feel it's that much of a waste.

Elisabeth

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Thank you for the valuable info Susan! I need to make another batch of liquid dish soap & have added D Limonene to it in the process of making it.

I just stopped and added 5% to the liquid soap I've been using for the dishes and wow, what a difference! I'm still going to make my regular dish soap, bottle it and then add the D Limonene when its time to use a new bottle.

It made my liquid soap cloudy but I'm ok with that as long as I can clean up easily after making soaps, lotions, balms and all the good stuff we love to make.

Jan =)

La Prairie Lady said...

I bought at Saffire Blue Canada for less. 500ml $8.24 and 1000ml for $14.73.
Great product
Diane

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

HI La Prairie Lady. Thanks for the suggestion! However, we don't suggest Saffire Blue around here for the following reasons...

What's going on Swift? Someone's trying to suppress your freedom of speech!
and
read the reviews in the comments.

La Prairie Lady said...

I am so sorry, I did not know that you had problems with them.
I read you recently, so I did not fully read your blog.

Be sure I will never mention a store, a blog or anything on your blog in the future.

My apologies
Diane

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Diane! My concern is that so many people have had problems with them that I'm really apprehensive about suggesting that company as a supplier. But please mention companies and your experiences with them. That's the only way we can learn about suppliers!

Vanessa said...

I have quite a few surfactants on hand - do you have any suggestions for making my own dishwashing detergent from scratch instead of buying and adding some? Thank you so much for your awesome info Susan:)

gain mark said...

Wow!! This dishwashing soap recipe is wonderful dear. I have tried this. It is a great homemade product. Hey, I need the recipe for eco-friendly house cleaning products. Can you share easy to follow recipe?

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan

I would love to see a recipe for dishwashing liquid on your site. I've been searching for quite a while now as my aim is to reduce my plastic footprint on our planet, it was when I discovered your site... which led me to making all my own beauty products. Now see what you've done!

What would you change in these recipes:


VERY BASIC
To 100% Water
2.5% Sodium Hydroxide (50% solution) As a degreaser
10% Anionic ( I have DLS Mild, Apple) Do I need a stronger Anionic?
5% cocamidopropyl Betaine
1% Lemon EO
2% Crothix
0.5% Germal Plus
Citric Acid PH adjuster

GENTLE RECIPE

2.5% Sodium Hydroxide (50% solution) As a degreaser
10% Anionic ( I have DLS Mild, Apple) Do I need a stronger Anionic?
5% cocamidopropyl Betaine
10% Aloe Vera
3% Glycerin
2% Panthenol
1% Lemon EO
2% Crothix
0.5% Germal Plus
Citric Acid PH adjuster

d-Limonene would probably be easier to use as a degreaser... but will have to source that still.

You really are a shining light.

Thank you
Jaslyn