Tuesday, July 1, 2014

We're still away on holidays!

HAPPY CANADA DAY! And is there anything more Canadian than visiting the States on a long weekend?

Raymond and I are still camping at Farragut State Park near Coeur D'Alene, Idaho, until Thursday.

If you donate for an e-book - and thank you in advance! - I will send it to you when I get to a wifi hotspot. This does mean that I might not be able to send it for a day or two, but it will get to you by e-mail as soon as I can!

As a note, I have someone checking the comments for spam, so you horrible spammers shouldn't think this it's a free-for-all for posting your annoying comments! 

As a final note, today marks the start of Canada's new spam legislation, which makes it illegal to send anything to anyone they don't want. It's so strict that companies aren't allowed to send you anything without your permission, which means we have to opt in to things like newsletters from companies and other things that might interest us! My cell phone company, for instance, has had to ask permission to send me marketing materials. (I said no.) The penalties are high - $1 million for a person, $10 million for a business - but I somehow doubt the government is going to apply those amounts!

What does this mean for those of you who have signed up for my e-mail list? Well, you signed up, which means you opted in, so you'll still get copies of my posts. If you don't want them, please opt out as I don't have access to a list and can't remove you from it!

If you are Canadian and you're getting spam, you can report your concerns to the Spam Reporting Centre. I encourage you to report every incidence of spam you can because that's the only way we can combat this stuff!

As an aside, there used to be a guy who would spam my blog with ads for his sea buckthorn oil company. It was so bad that I stopped writing about the topic! But I found his phone number and reported him to his company, and the spam stopped. They are, however, using my writing for marketing purposes, which is just wrong! 


Sbot. said...

Have a good trip!!

I searched through your blog, and had a question about using fruit in face scrubs like lush. Would you be able to show a tutorial on how to make one? They're my favorite thing from there, but so expensive.

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Sbot! We had a lovely time on our trip! As for using fruit in face scrubs, I addressed this issue only a short time ago, and I wouldn't suggest using fresh anything in a product that is going to be used beyond one use as the fresh ingredient is going to go off very quickly. Have you tried using powdered extracts in a facial scrub?

Weekend Wonderings: How do companies use fresh fruit in their products?
How does Lush use fresh fruit in their products? (part one)
How does Lush use fresh fruit in their products? (part two)