Monday, July 21, 2014

One ingredient, ten products: Sunflower oil in solid perfume

As we saw on Friday, sunflower oil is a great addition to a lip balm. And it's a great addition to a solid perfume because it offers no odour and is light in colour and skin feel.

Solid perfumes are very basic in nature because the main goal is to keep them solid in all kinds of weather by putting together a wax, a butter, and an oil. It's effectively a lotion bar with a bit more oil to make it melt on your skin a little easier.

Sunflower oil is a great choice here because it's inexpensive, has no odour or taste, and will keep your bars a light colour, if that's what you want. It doesn't matter that it's greasy feeling because you're only putting a dab on your skin in strategic locations, so it won't end up on your hands.

Check out my SnapGuide visual tutorial for creating solid perfumes! 

SOLID PERFUME RECIPE
30% beeswax
30% butter of choice
37% oil
3% fragrance or essential oils*

Before using any essential oils, check the safe usage rates. 3% is a lot, and I really recommend you use fragrance oils if you're new to bath and body stuff!

Heat all but the fragrance oils until the mixture has turned to liquid. Add the fragrance oils, then pour into your containers of choice. Let set until completely cooled. I like to put mine in the fridge or freezer until set. Label and rejoice!

Feel free to use any containers you like. Because they contain no water, you can use metal or plastic containers. I love lip balm tubes as they come in so many different sizes and looks, but you can use pots as well. There are so many cute containers for balms, lip balms, and solid perfumes, you might go a little crazy ordering them! (I felt a warning was needed!)

And don't forget to create some cute labels for these products with awesome names. That's one of the most fun bits about making bath & body products!

Other posts in this series:
One ingredient, ten products: Sunflower oil
One ingredient, ten products: Sunflower oil in body oils
One ingredient, ten products: Sunflower oil in blooming or dispersing bath oils
One ingredient, ten products: Sunflower oil in lotion bars
One ingredient, ten products: Sunflower oil in emulsified scrubs
One ingredient, ten products: Sunflower oil in a zinc oxide cream
One ingredient, ten products: Sunflower oil in a whipped butter
One ingredient, ten products: Sunflower oil in an oil based scrub
One ingredient, ten products: Sunflower oil in a body butter
One ingredient, ten products: Sunflower oil in balms
One ingredient, ten products: Sunflower oil in lip balms

Join me tomorrow as we wrap up this series and consider what we've learned! 

4 comments:

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Hi Susan,
I'd like to review your Solid Perfume today!

I made it for a second time today and LOVE it. It's so simple and works great.

I followed your recipe using Cocoa Butter for the 30% Butter of choice since I live in Arizona and it's hot here. For the 37% oil of choice I used Rice Bran Oil for skin nourishing benefits & Hazelnut Oil for it's dry feel. My fragrance is White Musk, it's a very popular scent in my soaps and lotions so I thought it would be perfect for a solid perfume.

Thanks for the opportunity to review your formulations =)

Jan

Stacey Dee said...

Hi Susan!
I am trying to duplicate Lush's solid perfume and I found that the basics of their recipe is: Jojoba Oil, Castor Oil, Candelilla Wax Fragrance and Talc. I can't find any blogs that have used this formulation and I worry about the hardness of the candelilla compared to the bees wax. Also I was wondering about the addition of talc, due to the recipe not containing water do you think its ok to have additives such as talc incorporated into it?

Thank you so much for your help <3
Stacey

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Stacey. You can make a solid perfume easily, as you can see from the post on which you commented. Why try to duplicate their product when you can make your own? And what does the talc bring to the party? Why include it? I wouldn't bother adding it to the product, but perhaps you like it?

Why not make a batch using each wax and see how you feel about it? That way you'll know exactly what each brings to the product!

Stacey Dee said...

Thank you Susan for the reply :)
I wanted to copy theirs because I really like the way it feels and absorbs on my skin :) I think the talc is to cut some of the oily feeling it might give. Plus cracking the code of their recipes seems like a lot of fun haha. Appreciate your help!
-Stacey
(born in Chilliwack, and a huge fan of your blog!)