Saturday, June 7, 2014

Weekend Wonderings: Making substitutions in an exfoliating cleanser recipe and using a lotion as a cleanser

In this post for creating a creamy exfoliating cleanser for oily skin, Sherry asks: If I want to remove the beads (my skin is super sensitive), what would you suggest replacing them with, or what should I increase in their place?

Also, I LOVE really creamy, thicker cleansers... almost cold cream consistency. I'm wondering if there is a way to thicken this mixture up without compromising the quality of the recipe? Is that possible without changing too much? A girl on Etsy makes a product I love that works really well on my skin.. it does have aloe and witch hazel in it but is really thick and she packages it in a tub. The only problem is, she has been on vacation since February so I'm looking for something I can make where I can choose the extracts I want. :) Just trying to find a way to reach the same consistency with my homemade version. If not, though, that's fine. I did take a look at your cream cleanser but it doesn't seem to have liquids in it, so I wasn't sure how to go about adding the witch hazel or aloe.

Oh! I also forgot to mention... one of the main reasons I'm so enamored with the cream cleanser I mentioned is because I don't have to wet my face at first... I can just smooth it on my face, it sort of disappears but sits on the skin, and then after a few minutes I rinse it off. It's really easy and still leaves my skin feeling soft. Would this cleanser require one to wet their face first, out of curiosity?

Let's go through your questions one at a time...

If you want to leave out the exfoliant in any exfoliating product on the blog, just leave it out. You don't need to compensate for them as I add them after I've made the complete recipe, so there's no need to figure out what to add instead. The product might be thinner without the exfoliating ingredient, but there is no big difference from a formulating stand point.

Yes, you'll have to wet your skin and rinse off this cleanser as it is a foamy product, not a lotiony product.

If you want a thicker product, try this recipe for a creamy cleanser for dry skin. It's the one in the picture above, and it needs to go into a jar as it's quite thick. If you want to add some witch hazel or aloe, add 10% of each to the recipe and see if you like it. (Don't worry about removing anything to get to 100% yet! Just add the ingredients and keep good notes!)

Related posts:
Formulating a creamy exfoliating cleanser for dry or wrinkled skin
Formulating a creamy exfoliating cleanser for dry skin
Modifying the creamy cleanser for normal skin
Facial scrubs: Physical exfoliants (part one)
Facial scrubs: Physical exfoliants (part two)
Facial scrubs: Chemical exfoliants

I think the product you like is a lotion used as a cleanser. If you look at the ingredients, I bet you there are watery ingredients, oily ingredients, and an emulsifier, which is a lotion. It might be a very thick lotion, but it's still a lotion. You can use any lotion you own as a cleanser if your skin can handle it, but you might want to think of using or making something called a cream or body butter if you want that extra viscosity.

Here's an example of a commercial product called a "cleansing milk" that is a lotion.

It's like calling a conditioner a "cleansing conditioner" like the Wen line of products. There's nothing in a cleansing conditioner that makes it cleansing - it's just a conditioner. There might be a titch of cocamidopropyl betaine in the product, but it's very little and isn't making a massive difference! 

Related posts:
How does the "no poo" concept work? (Analysis of Wen conditioner)
Duplicating products: Cleansing conditioners
Creating a cleansing conditioner

1 comment:

Sherry said...

Oh wow, thank you so much for going into detail about this. You know, I was just looking at the ingredient list of the product I mentioned today and was wondering, what on Earth is in here that is actually cleansing my skin? And you're right.. there are watery ingredients, oily ingredients, and an emulsifier! So it's definitely a lotion.

I actually have rosacea-type, oily, and acne-prone skin, which makes it all the more odd to me that this lotion "cleanser" is ultimately what seemed to do wonders for my skin. I would use it with a witch hazel/aloe toner and a salicylic acid product, followed by a moisturizer. Now that I've run out, I think I am going to try either your creamy cleanser for acne or rosacea prone skin here: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/05/formulating-creamy-exfoliating-cleanser.html, or the cream cleanser for normal to oily skin for people who aren't big on oils, here: http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.ca/2010/05/modifying-cream-cleanser-for-normal-to.html. The Korres duplicate seems interesting, too! Not sure if you have a recommendation as to which one is best I start with, unless any of them would work? I had fallen in love with the cold cream style of cleansing and consistency, but it's not really necessary for me if I can find something that works for my crazy skin.

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to clear up my questions and concerns. Your blog has been an amazing resource for me. I can't wait to get some products in so I can try these recipes.