Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Making a cooling spray - part 3

Thanks for joining me for part three of making a cooling spray! On Monday (part one), we took a look at some liquids we might use and on Tuesday (part two), we took a look at adding humectants. Let's put the recipe together now!

COOLING SPRAY WITH MODIFICATIONS TO MAKE IT LESS STICKY AND MINTY
30.5% distilled water
30% witch hazel hydrosol
20% peppermint hydrosol
10% ginger mint extract
5% Moisture Plex Advanced
2% sodium lactate
2% panthenol
0.5% liquid Germall Plus

Mix all the ingredients together well. Pour into a bottle.

I didn't heat and hold. Do we need to in this case? I'm using a fresh bottle of distilled water and all my ingredients are preserved in some way. I'm adding a preservative to the product as well. In this case, it's okay not to heat and hold. I know, it's scandalous, isn't it? 

What do I think of this recipe? So far it hasn't been hot enough to really need it, but I have been playing with it nevertheless. It feels very nice on my skin, a tiny weeny bit sticky, but not enough to be annoying, and it feels moisturizing, as if there's a light layer of something nice on my skin. I am worried that it feels less cooling than the version with peppermint essential oil, but it doesn't smel, which is a bonus. Do I like it more than my previous versions? To be honest, I'm not sure yet. I will report in a few weeks when we get the annoying heat of summer!

If you don't have the ingredients I've used, what can you do? (Check out this post to see some of the other ideas I've had!) If you don't have the ginger mint extract, try using some peppermint essential oil! I suggest using 1% with an equal amount (or thereabouts) of a solubilizer like PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil or polysorbate 20. You can use any grouping of humectants you like - I like 2% sodium lactate and 3% sodium PCA, but you can use a little glycerin or a little sorbitol or a little hyaluronic acid and so on. You can be really minimalist and use 1% peppermint essential oil, 1% solubilizer, 0.5% to 1% preservative, and up to 100% distilled to make a nice spray, or you can do what LiseLise does and put some hydrosol in a spray bottle and use that! There's no right or wrong way to making a cooling spray, and there are loads of variations you can make! Just make sure you keep cool this summer!

Join me tomorrow for more formulating fun!

No comments: