Monday, December 9, 2013

What do you want to know? Ordering supplies - hair care products

In the what do you want to know post, Lynne asked what speciality ingredients I would suggest for the products we make. I thought I'd take a look at the basics and then the more exciting and exotic ingredients we could use!

If you want to make conditioner, go with Incroquat BTMS-50 or Ritamulse BTMS-225 as you can make both lotions and conditioners out of these ingredients. Again, cetyl alcohol is a good choice for adding slip and glide and increasing conditioning power of your products. You can get your oils from the grocery store - I'd go with coconut every time for hair care products - and you really don't need butters, unless you have really really dry hair.

I definitely recommend getting some kind of protein for hair care. Something like hydrolyzed oat protein will form a film on your hair and trap water in your hair strand, while something like hydrolyzed silk protein will penetrate your hair and moisturize from within.

And really consider a humectant. I know I don't use them much because I have frizzy hair, but humectants will draw water from the atmosphere to your hair and offer moisturization. Glycerin is a good choice, but panthenol is a much better choice that offers moisturization and shine to your hair. As well, you can use it in body care products to stimulate wound healing and soothes itching and irritation. (Click here for those studies!)

The lovely thing about all these ingredients is that they can be used in lotion making, so they do double duty. In fact, if you're making conditioner, you're making an emulsified lotion! (Did you know that?)

Summary for conditioners:
  • Cetyl alcohol
  • Conditioning emulsifier - BTMS-25, BTMS-50, or Ritamulse BTMS-225
  • Humectant - glycerin, panthenol
  • Hydrolyzed protein - silk, oat, wheat, corn, soy, and so on
  • Oils - you can get these from suppliers or the grocery store
Related posts:
Hair care section of the blog
Conditioner tutorial (PDF)

Posts related to surfactants and shampoos:
Things you'll find in shampoo other than surfactants
Formulating with surfactants (PDF)
Which surfactants should I buy?

Join me tomorrow as I share with you my favourite speciality ingredients for hair care and lotion making!

No comments: