Tuesday, December 24, 2013

What do you want to know? How to dissolve powdered extracts?


In the What do you want to know? post, Lynae asks: I also have a question about powdered extracts, like the chamomile you show. Do you add them by weight as well, or do you dissolve them in some water? I used some calendula that ended up making my lotion gritty and want to avoid that.


For powdered extracts, I like to dissolve them in a titch of water before adding them in the cool down phase to avoid that grittiness. I tend to remove 5 grams to 10 grams of water from the heated water phase and I'll dissolve the extract in that warmed water before adding it. I find when I add it directly into the cool down phase of a lotion or cream, it can get gritty, which is what you experienced!

I go into more detail about using powdered extracts and hydrosols in this post Using extracts, hydrosols, and other botanical ingredients, which can be found in the extracts section of the blog

5 comments:

Allison S said...

Great post! I have commented once or twice before, but due to time constraints haven't been here in a bit. Everything is new (appearance)! Is anyone else having trouble navigating? I tried to do a basic search regarding what percentage of an item to add to my recipe (which I used to be able to find several articles on the subject) and I simply cannot find any search results. Am I doing something wrong?

Danuta Kildan said...

I had read this post some time ago, and I use green tea extract with a great success, thanks to you Susan :)

Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Allison. I've written about this extensively on the blog...The search function is not working for some people. It was working for me up until a few days ago. The altered appearance of the blog is my attempt to get it working again, but it is something on Google's end and I can't do anything about it.

Valerie Tinga said...

Allison, I am having the same trouble with the search bar to the left - it just refreshes the page already on.
BUT i did find the search bar on very top left corner by the Google blogger logo and that is working for me. Hopefully this helps you.

Valerie Tinga said...

Correction, I meant having trouble with search bar to the RIGHT (my other left, lol)