Sunday, December 15, 2013

What do you want to know? Adding starch to a whipped butter

In the What do you want to know post, Jodi asks: What do you think about making a whipped butter and adding a starch like tapioca powder or Natrasorb? How would this add to the butter?

Lots of people do this and love it. The point of doing this is to remove some of the feeling of greasiness we get in the anhydrous or non-water containing products that are made of butters, oils, and other emollients. It also stiffens the product.

I admit I've only done this once a very long time ago, so I'm only going by what I've read from readers like you and people on the Dish forum. I like my products to feel greasy, so adding these ingredients would change that skin feel.

You can use a variety of starches for this application, like corn starch, tapioca starch, Dry Flo, and Natrasorb, to name a few. The suggestions I've seen is that we can add a starch a pinch at a time while whipping our butters. I saw it suggested as up to 1/4 tsp for every ounce of butter (but remember htat we hate using volume measurements, so write down how much you used by weight!).

If you want a less greasy feeling whipped butter, consider using less greasy ingredients - for instance, hazelnut oil instead of a greasier feeling oil or mango butter instead of shea butter - and consider using something like IPM, an ester that can reduce the feeling of greasiness in our products.

Related posts:
Creating a whipped butter - a visual tutorial
Newbie Tuesday: Creating whipped butters - a recipe to try


Elise said...

Hello. If I use Sugarmulse in a lotion/cream recipe with about 65% water and 20% oil, how thin would it be without a thickener?

I'm thinking about using xanthan gum as my thickener but unsure of how to use it in the heat and hold technique? From what I have understood, I have to hydrate the xanthan gum in my water phase and then heat it afterwards. But won't some of the water evaporate? I'm a bit confused. I guess my question is how to use xanthan gum in the heat and hold technique? :)


Susan Barclay-Nichols said...

Hi Elise! I have no idea. I've never used Sugarmulse - as far as I know...what's the INCI? - so I'm not sure what the viscosity would be. You're better off speaking to the supplier of your ingredients.

As for the heating and holding, yes, some of the water will evaporate. Check out this post on compensating for evaporation in the FAQ. There are loads of great topics there!