Thursday, December 12, 2013

What do you want know? What makes a whipped butter remain whipped?

In this post on whipped butter, Lauren asks: I actually have a question, and hopefully this post isn't too old. What are we actually doing to the oils that make it whip and stay that way? Are we changing the molecular bonds of the oils? Are we just incorporating air? When it melts back down, would the bonds then just be shifting back again with no negative effects?

We aren't changing the bonds of the oils in any way - we're just adding air into the mix to make it more fluffy, the way you might make icing for a cake fluffier by incorporating air. When it melts, our butters will go back to the tight clumps they were before we melted them.

If you want to know more about changes in our ingredients, check out this post on physical vs. state changes. And no posts are too old! I see the comments for every post, regardless of date of posting! 


1 comment:

Sola said...

I'm so glad I found your blog, I started making whipped butters about 6 months ago and have been experimenting with a different oils. I am in the process of turning my new found hobby into a business and have been reading up a storm. I've been confused about which preservative to use and I'm glad to know that I don't need preservatives in my whipped butter. I will now get to spend some time playing with lotions since I ordered Germall Plus and grape fruit seed extract.